Notebook: Harper signs with Nationals

Left-handed reliever has chance to go pro with brother

Bryan Harper took a step toward fulfilling a dream this week

Actually, make that two dreams.

Harper, a left-handed reliever for South Carolina this past season, came to terms on his first professional contract with the Washington Nationals, who selected him in the 30th round of the 2011 MLB First Year Player Draft in June. The signing is all the more significant because it gives Harper a chance to eventually play professionally on the same team as his brother Bryce Harper, who is the gem of the Nationals’ farm system and one of the most heralded prospects in recent memory.
Harper went 1-0 with a 5.40 ERA in 22 appearances for USC in 2011, his only season in Columbia. A transfer from the College of Southern Nevada, Harper struggled to find control at times as his role was reduced later in the season.

Harper, a Las Vegas native, is the third player to leave the two-time defending College World Series champion Gamecocks with eligibility remaining. Shortstop Peter Mooney signed with Toronto, and pitcher/outfielder Steven Neff agreed to terms with defending World Series champion San Francisco.

Three Gamecocks with eligibility remaining are still undecided as the Aug. 15 signing deadline approaches: left-hander Tyler Webb, closer Matt Price and outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.

Outfielder Adam Matthews announced on his personal Twitter account last week that he intends to return for his senior season.

Football tickets on sale: Two football ticket packages are now available to Gamecock Club members for purchase and will be opened to the public early next week, USC announced Monday.

The “Garnet” package is $155 and includes tickets to USC’s home dates with Auburn (Oct. 1), The Citadel (Nov. 19) and Clemson (Nov. 26).

The “Black” package, which costs $160, is for the Vanderbilt (Sept. 24), Kentucky (Oct. 8) and Florida (Nov. 12) games.

In addition, individual tickets to USC’s home opener against Navy on Sept. 17 are now available for $40.

The two packages and tickets to the Navy game will go on sale to the general public on Aug. 8. Tickets can be purchased at GamecocksOnline.com on a first-come, first-served basis. Also, tickets to USC’s season opener against East Carolina in Charlotte can be bought through Ticketmaster.com.

Softball tryouts: The USC softball team has announced it will hold tryouts this fall for any female students interested in joining the team as walk-ons.

An interest meeting for those wishing to try out will be held on Aug. 29 at the USC Indoor Fieldhouse with assistant coach Janelle Breneman. The tryouts will be also held in the fieldhouse from 4 to 5:15 p.m. on Sept. 1 and 2.

All interested female students need to email Breneman at jbreneman@sc.edu prior to the interest meeting.