Steve Spurrier quiet on Texas A&M rumors, says he would welcome Clemson in SEC

Connor Shaw, Damiere Byrd star in first scrimmage

At least one person associated with South Carolina football is OK with the idea of rival Clemson joining the Southeastern Conference.

"I think it would be great if Clemson joined the SEC," said USC coach Steve Spurrier after his team's first preseason scrimmage Saturday. "We would play them in a conference game. They'd be in our division. It would make for a bigger game."

Spurrier was asked the question after days of rampant speculation and rumors about potential SEC expansion sparked by reports that Texas A&M will soon leave the Big 12 Conference and become the SEC's 13th team. Clemson has been mentioned as a possibility if the league were to expand further to 14 or 16 teams, but is not believed to be a serious target.

Clemson president James Barker told the Charleston Post and Courier Saturday he has had no contact with the SEC and that Clemson is "committed" to the ACC. Moreover, several reports have suggested the SEC will not look to add universities in states it already has in its geographic footprint.

A New York Times report said the 12 SEC school presidents will discuss accepting Texas A&M's push for league membership on Sunday, but that no deal is imminent or guaranteed, with a "30 to 40 percent chance" according to the report that Texas A&M's entrance could be voted down.

The Texas A&M Board of Regents will hold a teleconference Monday in which it is expected to give full authorization for school president Dr. R. Bowen Loftin to take any and all actions related to Texas A&M's athletic conference affiliation. Such a move would help pave the way for Texas A&M to potentially join the SEC.

Spurrier chose to take a wait-and-see approach about the Aggies on Saturday.

"I'm not going to comment until its official," Spurrier said. "If it happens, it happens. I've got a lot more concerns than that today. We're trying to get a turnover on 90 snaps against the third team offense here."

Spurrier was referring to the scrimmage, which saw his defense pile up a handful of sacks against the offense but come away with no turnovers.

"We can't knock it loose or get a pick," Spurrier said. "I hope we can get a pick or two here before we start the season."

Connor Shaw had the best day among the quarterbacks, completing nine of 11 passes for 147 yards and two touchdowns. Incumbent starter Stephen Garcia was nine-of-15 for 92 yards.

"[Shaw] threw it where he's supposed to, got rid of it and did not take sacks," Spurrier said. "He played pretty well."

Shaw said he was pleased with his outing and the praise from Spurrier, but wasn't getting carried, as it was "only a scrimmage."

"He can brag on me now, but tomorrow he can crucify me," said the sophomore of Spurrier. "We're just taking it day-by-day. It's always good to hear a good word, but I'll leave that at that."

True freshman Damiere Byrd also drew praise from Spurrier. The Sicklerville, N.J., native led all receivers with three catches for 84 yards and a touchdown, which came via a 65-yard reception from Shaw, the longest scoring play of the day.

Sled hits: Spurrier said Bruce Ellington had an "excellent scrimmage." Ellington caught a late touchdown pass and also ran several plays out of the wildcat package according to Spurrier ... Linebacker Quin Smith suffered a slight concussion during the scrimmage ... D.L. Moore practiced after missing several practices with a strained shoulder, recording one catch ... USC will have its Fan Appreciation Day Sunday at Colonial Life Arena beginning at 12:30 p.m. Players and coaches will be available for autographs, but will only sign university-issued team posters per NCAA guidelines.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Passing: Shaw 9-11-147, 2 TD; Garcia 9-15-92; Thompson 5-9-57, TD; Clifford 4-7-50, TD; McEvoy 1-3-1

Rushing: Carson 9-56; Wilds 7-36; Ellington 3-20; E. Baker 5-14, TD; Hinch 1-5

Receiving: Byrd 3-84, TD; Ellington 3-37, TD; Jones 2-33; E. Baker 3-22; Wilds 2-20, TD; Owens 2-20; Anderson 1-20, TD; Cunningham 1-20; D. Smith 1-16; Scruggs 1-13; Brady 1-13; S. Jeffery 1-13; Lattimore 1-11; Barnes 1-11; Simmons 2-9; Moore 1-3; Miles 1-1; Lowery 1-1

Scoring Summary – Full Field Portion
Damiere Byrd 65 pass from Connor Shaw (Jay Wooten kick)
Eric Baker 6 run (Adam Yates kick)
Rory Anderson 20 pass from Dylan Thompson (Wooten kick)
Yates FG 32

Scoring Summary – Overtime Portion (ball on 25-yard line)
Wooten FG 41
Bruce Ellington 7 pass from Shaw (Yates kick)
Brandon Wilds 11 pass from Andrew Clifford (Landon Ard kick)

Scrimmage was closed – all stats per USC Sports Information