Tanner McEvoy settling in at South Carolina

Spurrier high on New Jersey signal caller

Tanner McEvoy likely doesn't figure into South Carolina's quarterbacking present.

The quarterbacking future, however, is a much different story. The 6-foot-6 true freshman from Hillsdale, N.J., has impressed many during camp with his raw ability.

"He's a smart young man that should do very well," said coach Steve Spurrier. "He's very coachable. He's got a chance to be a big-time player."

McEvoy, who played at nationally prominent Bergen Catholic in Oradell, N.J., chose to travel 728 miles south to play in college for a myriad of reasons.

"Obviously, the future's great here; the program's looking pretty good. I've got family about 10 minutes away," McEvoy said. "It just kind of all matched."

Prior to his senior season, McEvoy wasn't even a quarterback. He played receiver until BC hired a new coach who made the decision to transition McEvoy under center.

It paid off, as McEvoy threw for 2,264 yards and 32 touchdowns and rushed for 1,196 yards and 14 scores as he led the Crusaders to a 10-2 record and an appearance in the New Jersey Non-Public, Group IV championship game at New Meadowlands Stadium, where they lost to national power Don Bosco Prep. For his efforts, McEvoy was named the Newark (N.J.) Star-Ledger's state Offensive Player of the Year.

Now, McEvoy is in another new environment: learning his quarterbacking fundamentals from the notoriously fickle Spurrier and an entirely new offense.

However, new things are old hat for him.

"I've learned a new offense four years in a row in high school," McEvoy said. "I'm just trying to learn another one now and develop into what I could be."

Shotgun snap snafus: Center T.J. Johnson struggled last summer snapping the ball in the shotgun, but his difficulties then were expected, as it was his first season at the position.

The snapping woes have returned this summer, and apparently Spurrier has had enough. On Tuesday, as Johnson spoke to the media, Spurrier drove his golf cart over and interrupted the interview, asking Johnson what he had said about his snapping in a joking manner.

Johnson responded he won't have another poor snap this summer. So far, so good — Johnson was perfect in Wednesday's scrimmage.

Spurrier wine released for charity: For the first time since 2007, a "Spurrier Vineyards" wine is being released, with all proceeds going to the Steve Spurrier Foundation and the USC golf programs.

The "Gamecock Garnet" wine, released by Southern Wine & Spirits of South Carolina, will be available at 24 locations in the greater Columbia area, including the Food Lion in Five Points.

"We are excited about the [SEC Eastern championship] reached by Gamecock football last year," said Southern Wine & Spirits Vice President and General Manager Tom Collins in a release. "The wine is a great way to recognize the title and also benefit South Carolina golf and coach Spurrier's charities."