Two-A-Days: Navy

Young, inexperienced Midshipmen aim to recapture Commander-in-Chief's Trophy

USC vs. UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY MIDSHIPMEN on 9/17
Coach: Ken Niumatalolo (27-13 in four seasons at Navy)
Last Season: 9-4, lost to San Diego State in Poinsettia Bowl
Last Meeting vs. USC: 1988 (USC 19-7)
All-Time Series vs. USC: Gamecocks lead 4-3

The Midshipmen have returned from oblivion to make a mark on the national landscape in recent years, appearing in a school record eighth consecutive bowl game in 2010. Among other season highlights, Navy beat Army for a series record ninth-consecutive time and defeated Notre Dame in consecutive seasons for only the third time in school history.

But with so few starters returning from last year's team, the team's inexperience will be its defining element.

"I like them from an athletic standpoint. We're as athletic as we've ever been," said head coach Ken Niumatalolo at the school's media day. "What I don't know [is] if our guys truly understand what it takes to win. Sometimes until you're thrown into the fire, you don't realize how hot it is."

Offense: Navy's trademark option offense will have a new look again this year, with junior quarterback Kriss Proctor becoming the seventh starter in nine seasons at that position.

"Expectations are going to be there," Proctor said. "Big players make big plays at big moments. I have to keep that in the back of my mind, and when the time comes, just be myself."

Alexander Teich, fullback and co-captain, did not participate in spring practice due to a shoulder surgery, but he returns as in full strength after a 2010 campaign where he was Navy's second-leading rusher. Although the offense will miss Greg Jones, by far Navy's leading receiver last year, the passing game is only a minor component of the Midshipmen's offensive strategy anyway.

"Obviously, Greg Jones was a heck of a wide receiver for us. I think he broke a bunch of passing records, but we don't even throw the ball. We're not a passing team," Niumatalolo said. "I think among a group of guys we have coming, we have some guys that can fill the void. We have a bunch of guys looking to be the man."

Because size is a concern for Navy's offense, the team has focused on fitness and athleticism to stay competitive.

"We've got to be tougher," Proctor said. "We have to be in better shape, better prepared. That just gives us a shot."

Defense: Navy received a huge boost from the return of defensive coordinator Buddy Green, who was unavailable for spring practices as he recovered from gallbladder surgery.

"Buddy's done a great job," Niumatalolo said. "We just kind of went with what we've always been doing [in the spring], but when your leader's not here, you definitely miss him. You miss his spirit, his energy, who he is. He's an icon. His presence of the field alone gives great comfort to our team, our defense, our staff. We're grateful he's back."

Green's return is accompanied by lack of experience among his players.

Defense has been a staple of Navy's success throughout his nine seasons with the team, and the Midshipmen were among the top 20 in the country in scoring defense in 2009.

But with only three starters returning, the revamped defense may be a liability this year. Navy will rely on Jabaree Tuani, defensive end and co-captain, to provide some continuity.

Special teams: The Midshipmen have a lot of question marks on special teams, as punters Kyle Delahooke and Justin Haan, his scheduled replacement, will both miss the season for missionary work. Kicker Jon Teague may be asked punt as well, though special teams coordinator Steve Johns said the team may have some promising freshmen who can fill that role. There is also no clear front-runner among the kick returners.

Schedule analysis: A challenging schedule awaits Navy as it seeks it ninth consecutive bowl game appearance. It will not have a chance to ease into the season, with its first game coming against last year's Football Championship Subdivision runner-up, Delaware. After traveling to Western Kentucky and South Carolina in consecutive weeks, the Midshipmen will host Air Force and Southern Miss. Road games at Rutgers and Notre Dame highlight the middle portion of Navy's schedule, and it will play its final home game against Troy. After road games at SMU and San Jose State, the Midshipmen will have three weeks to prepare for its rivalry game against Army.

The final word: "In order for us to have a chance, we have to have a certain mentality. Everybody talks about working hard, but we have to work hard. We don't have an alternative. We're smaller than everybody else ... We have some guys that understand it, but we don't have enough guys. We have to have everybody on board." — Niumatalolo

PREVIOUS TWO-A-DAYS ENTRIES
LSU
Ole Miss
Alabama
East Carolina
Georgia
Vanderbilt