In-Brief: 1/13/16

Turkey suicide bombing kills 10

Turkish officials have announced that a suicide bombing in the country’s capital of Istanbul that killed 10 and wounded at least 15 Tuesday was perpetrated by the IS, The New York Times reports. The bomber is believed to be Syrian. The 10 killed were all foreign citizens, hailing from Germany and Peru. The bombing occurred in a major historic district of the city.

US Navy vessels held by Iran to be returned

According to The State, a Pentagon spokesperson has announced that the US Navy briefly lost contact with two of its vessels Tuesday, but that the US has been assured by Iranian officials that they will be returned promptly. The two vessels, described as small in nature, were traveling between the countries of Kuwait and Bahrain then drifted into Iranian territorial waters after experiencing mechanical difficulties in the Persian Gulf at the time of the incident.

3 suspects incarcerated in connection with weekend shooting

Columbia Police have arrested three individuals in connection with a shooting on Truman Street in Columbia Saturday evening that left one person wounded, The State reports. CPD are also still searching for a fourth suspect in the incident. The three individuals have been charged with attempted murder as well as other charges related to the ensuing police pursuit. The victim was treated for nonlife-threatening injuries to the arm at a local hospital.