Columbia cops should learn from Athens regarding alcohol policies

Other towns enforce laws better

On these weekends we are able to see the systems other schools have in place and see how good, or how terrible, the quality of life is for their student bodies. Athens, Ga., is a place where our administration, students and fans alike can go to see an example of a school where the community works in sync to provide the best possible atmosphere for a well-managed social life.

Given the circumstances already facing our fall semester, it is vital that we question our current approach to risk management and ask ourselves if we should look to other schools for the answer.

In my numerous trips to Athens, experience has taught me that while the city does have its own shortcomings, it has a much more effective social community. Students, administrators and law enforcement understand the realistic approach to risk management and work together to promote the safest environment possible.

Athens takes a practical, harm-reduction-based approach to the enforcement of alcohol laws, and it produces a more united community. At parties and tailgates I roamed through, it wasn't a rare occurrence to see a few police officers standing around, making sure things weren't getting out of hand. They were there with the main directive to serve the students, and it was the most optimal use of police resources given the circumstances.

After the game, I noticed police actively patrolled the surrounding areas of town and were set up along the sidewalks to maintain order. This was a far more effective approach than patrolling bars seeking students for underage drinking tickets — a scene witnessed time after time in Columbia.

The mantra I have learned regarding Athens is that jaywalking and open containers will land you in trouble, not the inevitable underage beer. Some may argue "the law is the law," but we must ask ourselves what the purpose of that law is — to minimize harm and then ask if the culmination of USC's strict alcohol policies have produced the desired results.

So far, they haven't. Societies change, and we must re-engineer our methods as a means to provide the best service to the student body. Our policies reflect short-term obedience to the law rather than long-term personal growth.

It's time we realize that an aggressive approach to alcohol laws not only affects the underage population, but it also affects the of-age population. Bar raids and aggressive tactics reduce the overall atmosphere of a social setting, and the effect on reducing underage or reckless consumption is arguably minute.

We can no longer afford to ignore the reality that alcohol is and will be a part of college life regardless of whether you are a freshman or a senior.

We must take appropriate action to introduce reasonable, realistic and honest policies that reflect the values of the community at large.