First Look: Vanderbilt

Franklin has 'Dores riding high at 3-0

VANDERBILT COMMODORES
3-0 overall, 1-0 in Southeastern Conference play

Last time out: The Commodores demolished Ole Miss in Nashville, jumping out to a 30-0 lead after three quarters before winning 30-7. The 23-point margin of victory was Vandy's largest over an SEC opponent since 1971.

To date: First-year Vanderbilt coach James Franklin is the first Commodores coach to start his time in Nashville 3-0 since World War II. Vandy opened the season with a 45-14 win over Elon, then improved to 2-0 with a come-from-behind 24-21 win over UConn. The 3-0 start is the best for Vanderbilt since 2008, when the Commodores started 5-0 en route to a 7-6 finish and the program's first bowl win since 1955.

Who and what to watch for: Larry Smith is again back under center for the Vanderbilt offense. The senior quarterback has thrown for 368 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions, and rushed for 81 yards and two scores. Vandy's featured back is Zac Stacy, who has 290 yards and a touchdown on the season. Receiver Chris Boyd leads the team with three touchdown receptions.

The Commodore defense leads the nation in interceptions with 10. Three of those have been returned for touchdowns. Trey Wilson leads the team with three picks, two of which he has brought to paydirt. Chris Marve leads the team with 23 tackles. Tim Fugger has a squad-high three sacks.

Vandy is 13th in the nation in punting yardage. Punter Richard Kent was a thorn in USC's side last season, putting the Gamecocks in poor field position several times.

Last five meetings: Gamecocks lead 3-2
2010: Gamecocks 21, Vanderbilt 7 in Nashville, Tenn.
2009: Gamecocks 14, Vanderbilt 10 in Columbia
2008: Vanderbilt 24, Gamecocks 17 in Nashville, Tenn.
2007: Vanderbilt 17, Gamecocks 6 in Columbia
2006: Gamecocks 31, Vanderbilt 13 in Nashville, Tenn.

All-time series standings: Gamecocks lead overall series 16-4
In Columbia: Gamecocks lead series 7-2
In Nashville: Gamecocks lead series 9-2
On Neutral Field: No series meetings on neutral field