In our opinion: Carolina Alert should utilize text message system

Students would have been better notified, had they received alerts to their phones

In case you weren't already aware, it rained yesterday in Columbia. Actually, it was a downpour. Five Points flooded. Thomas Cooper's fifth-floor computer lab flooded. The basement of the business building flooded. Vehicles were stuck. Some cars floated.

Throughout the chaos yesterday, think back to how you found out about the stormy weather.

Did you see it on Facebook or Twitter? Did a friend call or text you? Did you actually hear the storm and realize it for yourself?

Whatever way you found out, it probably wasn't through Carolina Alert.

In order to let students know, Carolina Alert used social media where students were already discussing the issue.

On its Facebook page, which had a following of less than 1,000 Facebook users Sunday night, Carolina Alert said "SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING has been issued. Seek shelter immediately," then it posted a link to the main page.

The students who were caught in the storm probably didn't have access to the internet and since the storm was so strong students needed to seek shelter, they should have been directly texted and told to do so.

Having an alert system in place is important. Actually using the system is more important.

Carolina Alert always asks students to make sure their information, specifically cellphone numbers, are updated on VIP so they can be easily notified of emergencies.

But why should we waste our time if Carolina Alert doesn't even bother to send a text?

Send the text, USC. Always.