In our opinion: Hiring Trey Walker smart move for USC

Hiring Trey Walker, a longtime talented South Carolina politico with ties to the governor's mansion and the Statehouse, to shore up efforts at the Statehouse is likely a savvy move for the University of South Carolina.

Walker's wide range of contacts, coupled with his political acumen, will probably benefit students, faculty and staff. Sure, $135,000 is a lot of money per year, but we believe Walker will probably soon prove his worth.

If you want success at the Statehouse and inside the governor's mansion, what better way than hiring someone who has those contacts and extreme know-how? Walker has directed several campaigns, including Sen. John McCain's efforts in the Palmetto State during the 2008 race.

It is also refreshing to see that USC will now move toward lobbying efforts that can actually work. Legislators either cannot or will not better fund higher education.

But that doesn't mean lobbying isn't important. USC must ensure lottery scholarships will remain and building projects will move forward. It must also make sure certain pieces of legislation, including an annual threat to require a certain amount of in-state students at USC, doesn't pass the body.

On a side note, Democrats must be getting madder by the moment. USC has now hired four high-profile Republican politicos in recent months, including Walker, Henry McMaster and two other longtime McMaster associates. In total, the four are making more than $550,000 a year.

Maybe the governor herself will move to the university. It would sure provide for interesting theater — and likely photo identification cards for all students, even if Nikki Haley herself has to walk everyone to the CarolinaCard office.