Letter to the Editor: Parking Wars

Students turn aggressive when forced to compete for limited number of parking spaces available at USC

Almost immediately you are spotted, and, as you walk to your car, you are completely aware that you are being stalked. Today I am not writing that the University should add parking — though it really needs to. Today I am writing to my fellow Gamecocks.

We need to remember that we are not only men and women, but that we are gentlemen and ladies, and it is time that we behave accordingly. What we need to do is to follow some simple rules:

1. Do not steal spaces! When a person has put in the effort to follow a person from one end of the lot to the other in order to get their space it is just not sporting to jump in front of them and steal the space. The stealer is just displaying their lack of manners and poor upbringing. Stealing is only appropriate in baseball!

2. Do not make people wait! Once you enter your car, it is very wrong of you to then sit in the car while talking on the phone, reading a book or applying makeup while a line of cars wait to enter that space.
As an addendum to that, please vacate your space as soon as possible. I know how wonderful it is to sit around drinking coffee with your friends, but please do not forget that every minute you are enjoying there is a fellow student waiting to get a space so that they may attend class.

3. If you are following a person to their car, do not follow too closely. If you actually kill the driver they will not move their car.

4. If a person is following you, do not then decide to play with them by walking in and out of the lines of parked cars. It might give you a laugh, but it is bad manners and it shows that you have no respect for your fellow students.

If we all agree to follow these rules I'm not saying the parking situation will be better, but it will be much less stressful. So join me, my fellow Gamecocks, and let's prove that we are gentlemen and ladies.

-Jarrett Edwards, First Year BA Public Relations & Political Science Alumnus C/O 2006