Practice report: DeVonte Holloman back at boundary safety for Navy game

D.J. Swearinger transitions to free safety; Auguste likely out against Midshipmen

The much-maligned South Carolina defensive secondary received a shake-up Monday night.

Spur linebacker DeVonte Holloman will start at boundary safety against Navy, while D.J. Swearinger will shift from boundary to free safety.

The move is designed to get the best tacklers on the field against Navy's nation-leading rush attack, spur linebackers coach John Butler said. Defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward said USC will have to "play it by ear" to see if the move becomes a long-term one.

Holloman played boundary safety for his first two seasons at USC before moving to spur in the offseason. He returned from a one-game suspension for a summer arrest for driving under the influence against Georgia as the backup to starting spur Antonio Allen. Holloman had five tackles in 26 plays against the Bulldogs. His performance was "solid," Butler said.

Holloman replaces Jimmy Legree at boundary safety. Legree struggled against Georgia, especially with tackling. Holloman said he is on board with the move.

"It feels good to be back there," Holloman said. "I just want to make plays. Wherever the coaches put me, I'm going to try to make the best of it."

Butler said Damario Jeffery will once again be the backup spur. Jeffery, a former spur who moved to will linebacker in the offseason, was behind Allen for the ECU game before transitioning back to will. As is the case with Holloman, Butler said he doesn't know where Jeffery will be beyond the Navy game.

Auguste unlikely to play Saturday: Ward said he doesn't expect cornerback Akeem Auguste to play against Navy. Auguste, who has battled an arch injury since the start of preseason practice, played against Georgia but reaggravated the injury. Ward does expect Auguste back in a week against Vanderbilt.

"I don't think he hurt it any worse than in the beginning," Ward said. "We can get him semi-healthy, and he can help us."

Whitlock out, expected to be OK: Cornerback C.C. Whitlock missed practice Monday with a sprained neck, but Ward said Whitlock will be OK to play against Navy.

Gamecocks now No. 10: The Associated Press announced Monday night that an error was made in the ballot tabulation for its weekly Top 25 poll. As a result, South Carolina and Nebraska have swapped spots. The Gamecocks are now No. 10 and the Cornhuskers are No. 11. Nebraska and USC are still Nos. 10 and 11, respectively, in the USA Today Coaches' Poll.

Ingram earns SEC honors: Defensive end Melvin Ingram was named the Southeastern Conference Special Teams Player of the Week for his performance in USC's 45-42 win at Georgia.

Ingram had a 68-yard fake punt rush for a touchdown and recovered an onside kick at the end of the game to seal the Gamecock victory. The senior also had a 5-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown.

Tailback Marcus Lattimore was listed by the conference as having an "outstanding performance." The sophomore rushed for 176 yards and a touchdown on 27 carries.

Kickoff time announced for Vanderbilt game: The Gamecocks will kick off against Vanderbilt on Sept. 24 at 7 p.m., the SEC announced Monday. The game, which will be played at Williams-Brice Stadium, will air on either ESPN or ESPN2.