What Texas A&M brings to the Southeastern Conference

A rundown on the SEC's 13th member

Texas A&M is finally headed to the Southeastern Conference as the league's 13th member institution.

After weeks of speculation, the SEC presidents and chancellors unanimously agreed to formally accept Texas A&M's application for membership on Friday. The decision was announced Sunday night by the conference. The Aggies will join the SEC effective July 1, 2012 and begin competition in all sports during the 2012-13 academic year.

"On behalf of our presidents, chancellors, athletics directors, students and fans, I welcome Texas A&M University to the SEC family," said SEC Commissioner Mike Slive in a release. "Texas A&M is a nationally-prominent institution on and off the field and a great fit for the SEC tradition of excellence—athletically, academically and culturally.

The state of Texas' first public institution of higher learning, Texas A&M is one of the nation's Top 20 research institutions in terms of funding. A member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, the school was named the nation's 63rd best university by U.S. News and World Report in its 2011 rankings.

Texas A&M is one of three public universities in the United States will a full-time Corps of Cadets consisting of student volunteers. A&M provides more commissioned officers to the United States Armed Forces upon graduation than any non-service academy.

The school, which opened in 1876, is located in College Station, Texas, which is about 187 miles from Dallas, the fifth-largest media market in the United States, and 95 from Houston, the nation's tenth-biggest market.

As of the Spring 2011 semester, the school's total enrollment is 46,423 students, 36,952 of which are undergraduates.

Here's a quick look at what Texas A&M brings to the table athletically:

MAJOR SPORTS

Football
Conference Titles:
18 (17 in Southwest Conference, one in Big 12)
National Titles: 1 (1939)
Stadium Capacity: Kyle Field seats 83,002, but has held as many as 90,000.
Texas A&M has immense football tradition. Kyle Field is widely regarded as one of the toughest stadiums to play in, mainly due to "The 12th Man," the nickname for all A&M fans, including the raucous student cheering section that stands for the entirety of every game. The fans are led during games by the Yell Leaders – five male students who serve as cheerleaders – and the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band, which is formed solely by students from the school's Corps of Cadets, making it the world's largest military band. The Aggies have longstanding regional rivalries with Arkansas and LSU.

The Aggies are currently 2-1 and ranked No. 14 in the latest Associated Press poll.

Baseball
Conference Titles (combined regular season and tournament)
: 22 (15 in Southwest, seven in Big 12)
National Titles: none (five appearances in College World Series)
Stadium Capacity: Olsen Field seats 7,053
One of the more successful collegiate baseball programs in the nation, A&M faced South Carolina in the opener of the 2011 College World Series this summer. The Aggies have made five consecutive NCAA Regional appearances.

Men's Basketball
Conference Titles (combined regular season and tournament):
13 (all in Southwest)
National Titles: none (never been further than Sweet 16)
Stadium Capacity: Reed Arena seats 12,500
A&M has experienced a bit of a hardwood revival over the past 10 or so years. The program has always had a strong tradition, but had struggled since the late 1980's. The Aggies have made the last six NCAA Tournaments.

Women's Basketball
4 (Three in Big 12, one in Southwest)
National Titles: 1 (2011)
After five straight NCAA Tournament appearances without a trip past the Elite Eight, A&M finally broke through this past season, reaching the Final Four and defeating Stanford and Notre Dame to win the national championship. The Aggies were the landing spot for former USC center Kelsey Bone when she opted to transfer.

OLYMPIC SPORTS

The men's and women's track and field teams have both won three consecutive NCAA outdoor championships (2009-2011) ... the men's and women's golf programs are regarded as among the best in the nation. The men's team won the 2009 national championship ... the men's and women's tennis squads are perennial NCAA Tournament qualifiers ... the women's soccer team has made the NCAA Tournament every season since 1995 ... the volleyball program has struggled of late but was an annual NCAA Tournament team in the early 2000's ... the men's and women's swim and dive teams are both strong – the men have finished in the Top 25 at the NCAA Championships for 15 consecutive years, while the women finished sixth in 2011 ... the equestrian program has won one overall national title, four Western Division competition titles and two individual titles in its history.