Women's tennis heads north for Milwaukee Tennis Classic

Gamecocks look to repeat last year's success in Badger State

The USC women’s tennis team has one main goal going into the season: make it to the NCAA Tournament. They have accomplished that feat for the last 17 years,and coach Arlo Elkins attributes the long run to having an already-successful program.

“We never have to rebuild our team after the season is over,” Elkins said. “We constantly have good players who work hard and know what it takes to accomplish their goals. You don’t have to change your approach every season when you have an established program.”

The Gamecocks begin their quest for 18 straight appearances this weekend when they take part in the Milwaukee Tennis Classic.

“The first tournament will determine where we stand early on in the season,” Elkins said. “It will enable us to see what we have to work on and how far we’ve come in the offseason. We’ll see how it goes and make adjustments from there.”

When USC competed in Milwaukee last season, the team dominated the event, combining for a 26-1 record. Dijana Stojic won the tournaments singles championship and Katerina Popova was the runner up. Anya Morgina and Miljana Jocic took home the doubles title, completing the sweep for the Gamecocks. Elkins doesn’t believe last year’s success will affect the team this time around, however.

“This is a whole different tournament,” Elkins said. “We basically have three new players going out there this year. Jaklin Alawi is a transfer who we’re expecting big things from. Our freshman Dina Guzairova is going out there for the first time and Josefin Andersson is coming back from injury. We look forward to seeing how they do. They all have great potential.”

In addition to the newcomers, all of the tournament’s champions from last year have returned, with the exception of Jocic. But Elkins said it will take more than experience to be able to succeed this weekend.

“The number one thing you have to do in a match is work hard,” Elkins said. “Whoever works the hardest during a match is usually going to win. Secondly, we have to believe we are the best team here. If we can do that, we will be in good shape.”

Despite having and facing the challenge of playing on clay courts, Elkins said his team will be ready to compete.

“The ball slows down on the clay courts so we have to be patient,” Elkins said. “If we wait for the ball and go for the shot when it comes to us, we’ll be fine. As for the girls, they have been working really hard. They probably are in the best shape they’ve been for a couple years. Regardless, we’re still a work in progress.”