Graham Colton goes green on tour to promote latest album 'Pacific Coast Eyes Vol. 2'

'Best Days' singer to perform at Columbia's White Mule Nov. 9

Graham Colton is stripping off all the glitz, glamour and label-driven stage lights and going natural.

Boasting a list of smaller-venue sets across the Southeast, the singer-songwriter — known best for his 2007 “American Idol”-endorsed single “Best Days” — is going green in a whole new way.

Colton’s “Go Natural” tour, which began Thursday, is bringing an eco-friendly mentality to the music world. The songster will travel to all 21 of his tour stops in a vehicle that runs on compressed natural gas (CNG) and will stop at The White Mule in Columbia Wednesday, Nov. 9.

The Oklahoma native said the cause hits close to home because natural gas is produced in his home state. However, Colton did keep money in mind when making the decision for the green tour.

“I would be lying if I didn’t say it started with my pocketbook,” Colton said. “I wanted to bring my full band on tour, and with any musician, it’s almost impossible to go out on a full tour with the price of gas.”

The CNG, which will fuel Colton’s tour, emits up to 90 percent fewer particle emissions and costs 50 percent less than gasoline. It’s an alternative energy and eco-centered movement the singer hopes to bring to both the music community and his fans.

“I was definitely inspired by all the different kinds of alternative energy, and all the musicians and artists who are doing what’s best for the environment,” Colton said. “There aren’t many lines of work where you spend your life on the road in planes, trains and automobiles.”

Colton, who just rereleased his latest album “Pacific Coast Eyes Vol. 2” on Oct. 18, is also promoting the new music on the tour, mirroring the album’s more laid-back sound by connecting with his audience in more intimate settings.
“It’s about making connections with fans,” Colton said. “I feel better as an artist when I’m focused on quality rather than quantity.”

The artist, who was signed to Republic for the release of his most well-known album, 2007’s “Here Right Now,” is now working under “Graham Colton Records.”

“I’ve definitely been a product of the old model and the old way of doing music, but now I’m working under the new way,” Colton said.

In the new generation of Twitter, Facebook and social media, where self-promotion is a part of the everyday, “I can do it by myself,” Colton said.

Colton has opened for the likes of John Mayer, Dave Matthews Band and Kelly Clarkson, and despite it all, he’s ready to bring everything back down to Earth and play for a certainly smaller but impactful crowd.

“I’ve been really lucky to have some big moments and career milestones,” Colton said. “It’s amazing to open for 10,000 people, but it’s the people at places like The White Mule who are around for life. They make the lasting impressions.”

“Pacific Coast Eyes Vol. 2” houses all the tracks from the “Pacific Coast Eyes” EP, new versions of “1981” and “Everything You Are,” and three fresh songs — “Wide Open Inside,” “Hold Onto My Heart” and “My Resignation.”
The rerelease, which has made it to No. 2 on the singer–songwriter charts, is 18 tracks long and can be downloaded for only $5.99 on iTunes.

To follow Colton’s tour diary and download unreleased mp3s, visit CNG’s website at www.cngnow.com/graham.
Colton will play at White Mule, as a part of the “Go Natural” tour Wednesday, Nov. 9. Doors are at 6 p.m., and the show is at 8 p.m. Ticket prices are to be announced.