In Our Opinion: Journalism lecture paints unflattering image of field

David Axe, a freelance journalist that USC’s College of Mass Communications and Information Studies brought to campus for I-Comm week, told a crowd of journalism students and faculty Tuesday evening that, if given godlike powers to do so, he would not end all war simply because he enjoys writing about it too much.

This was after he wasted the audience’s time for more than an hour asking them why they thought the media furthered the notion that there is more war on Earth today, when there is actually less.

Obviously part of the problem is reporters like Axe, who cover war because they enjoy the violence itself.  This is frankly sad — journalism is a greater good, a higher calling, a love. It is not merely a career.

It is well-known that journalism isn’t a lucrative career. While this has the negative effect of scaring off many talented men and women, it has the usual benefit of attracting only those who feel that their job is for more than just money and thrills.

Axe, and those like him, report only for the adrenaline rush. 
We’re glad you enjoy your job, Axe. You get to make money doing something you love, even though you have no moral compass guiding you. Many mercenaries enjoy their jobs, too.

A sick fascination with violence and death should inhabit no part of a war reporter’s mind.
College of Mass Communications and Information Studies, we understand your intent to show us the full spectrum of journalism, from the good to the ugly.

For those of us in the school, we know this week is always chock-full of top-notch speakers and thought-provoking events.  This year is no exception, but last night’s event was not one of those events. It was an embarrassment to USC and the journalism school.

John Lennon famously wrote the lyrics “War is over, if you want it.” It is one thing to say the situation is more complex than simply wanting it. It is another to not want it at all.