Letter to the Editor: Gamecocks need to be respectful to other teams

Harsh words and booing give USC bad reputation

However, I am noticing a trend where students seem to spend most of the game heckling the other team. This past Saturday I attended the football game against Auburn.

I was appalled at some of the behavior at the game. Starting off, I think it is extremely inappropriate to talk during the prayer. It is a conversation with God, and students who talk and yell during the prayer should be ashamed of themselves.

Furthermore, it seemed that students seemed to want to boo and yell profanities at the Auburn football team more than cheer for the Gamecocks. Having said that, I was shocked at some of the specific words I heard directed toward the Auburn football team.

I don't really think the Auburn players care what you yell, and you yelling those profanities doesn't even seem to distract them because Auburn won the game anyway.

I would also like to point out that the game was televised on CBS, and there is a good chance that whoever was watching the game on TV heard everything the students were yelling, which brings bad publicity to our university.
Behaving like this produces a bad reputation for our university and USC fans in general. I don't want fans of other teams to look at my USC shirt and automatically assume I'm rude. I encourage and urge all students to keep this in mind when cheering on the Gamecocks in future football games. Let's be positive and cheer for our team, not cheer against the other team.

— David Curtis, fourth-year senior information technology student