Campbell named paper’s next editor

New leader wants to recruit, train more members

He will take over for the paper's current editor, Josh Dawsey, who leaves the paper in December after two semesters as editor-in-chief and seven semesters on staff. Campbell chose Kristyn Sanito, a third-year English student, as managing editor for the spring. Sanito is currently the newspaper's copy desk chief.

Campbell, a third-year journalism student from Catonsville, Md., previously served as managing editor for two semesters. Before that, he was an assistant editor and a staff writer.

"The paper has grown in leaps and strides — and I want to continue that growth," he said. "We as a paper are really becoming a contender in the Columbia area with other outlets, with professional outlets. I want to make sure that we continue to provide high-quality coverage."

Dawsey said Campbell was a crucial part of a team that achieved incredible success.

"We really deepened our reporting on the administration; we deepened our work across the board; we vastly improved our arts and entertainment section," Dawsey said. "I think anyone will tell you that The Daily Gamecock is just as much or more relevant than it's ever been. This entire staff has so much to be proud of."

The newspaper will face a young staff in the spring, as several of the newspaper's most senior editors, including news editor Ryan Quinn and sports editor James Kratch, finish their tenure at The Daily Gamecock next month.
Campbell said he plans to continue the newspaper's success by focusing on effectively managing, growing and training his staff.

"I think the No. 1 way to go about putting out a high-quality product is by having a high-quality staff," he said. "Making sure that we recruit well, that we retain high-quality members and that we train younger writers to take on hard-hitting stories is the way that you do that."

Dawsey also shared his advice for Campbell in the coming semester.

"[I encourage him] to enjoy it, because it's going to consume your life — to realize how important your staff is, to make sure your staff knows how much you appreciate them, to stand up for what you believe in when you're not joined by others, to remember that you're the last set of eyes that sees the paper," he said.