Double the agony: Gamecocks unable to seize second chance, bow out of NCAA Tournament

Missed penalty re-kick seals fate

South Carolina got such a chance against Wake Forest on Thursday. It appeared the Demon Deacons had won in sudden death penalty kicks after Gamecock J.P. Rafferty missed his try off the post. But the official determined Wake keeper Michael Lisch took two steps early in defending the kick.

Re-kick. But ultimately, no revised ending.

After running to celebrate with his team, Lisch trotted back to the goal to advance his team to the second round of the NCAA College Cup, again.

Lisch pushed Rafferty's second ball over the crossbar, sealing the victory for good. There would be no third chance for the Gamecocks.

"That was definitely a second life," said USC coach Mark Berson. "Their goal keeper made a tremendous save on that second one. Credit to them – that's just a bang-bang play. It's how games are decided at the international level and the NCAA level. It's a cruel way, but you've got to give credit to their goalkeeper."

Having to come from behind all season, both from a poor start to the season and in five games this season, the Gamecocks did so again. The Demon Deacons got on the board early, as Ross Tomaselli found the net near the post off an assist from Sean Okoli. Wake Forest would continue to maintain and dominate possession until the last 10 minutes of the first half.

Despite the strong offensive play to close the half, USC was unable to tie the game, though the momentum carried into the second period. The Gamecocks were awarded a penalty kick in the 50th minute to have a chance to tie.

Having not started since USC's Sept. 24 game against Memphis, sophomore Chipper Root got the start in the first-round tournament game. With a chance to tie the game, Root stepped forward to take the penalty kick and got the ball beyond the reach of Lisch.

With just over six minutes remaining in regulation, sophomore Bradlee Baladez seemingly put his team ahead with a goal, but it was taken away after the official called a handball on Baladez.

"I don't know," said Baladez when asked what transpired when called for the handball. "I guess it's a tough call for the referee. I think the defender went up and said it was a handball too. I don't know what it is. I don't think I touched it with my hands."

Baladez finished with six shots, two of which were on goal, but was unable to score. With 6:28 left in the first overtime period, Baladez had a powerful strike that was just wide. Several minutes later, Mike Mangotic would try to find him in the penalty area, but Baladez was well defended and out of position.

"I was unlucky," Baladez said. "There was one that hit the bar. It's my job to score and I just couldn't find the back of the net today. It's hard."

After starting the season at 1-4-1, the NCAA Tournament was a distant thought, especially getting to host the first game. For fifth-year senior Vance Benson, who didn't get to play in the two tournament games last season because of a leg injury incurred earlier in the year, he's not down on the way the season ended because of how the team was able to rally back to earn a share of the Conference USA regular season title.

"This season has been sort of a roller coaster," Benson said. "We were 1-4-1 at the beginning of the year and we just trying to go somewhere and to make it to the NCAA Tournament is a huge accomplishment. Team's don't usually do that – they don't come from behind and dig themselves out of a hole. And we did that so there's a lot to be said about the character of this team. You always want to win the game and the tournament, but to be here was a great achievement."

The Gamecocks have had to come from behind all season, and despite getting a second chance, it wasn't enough to keep the rally going.