Holiday hoopla hits Columbia this week

Seasonal events bring spirit to Midlands

Although most students will be leaving Columbia before the actual holidays roll around, there are plenty of ways to get in the spirit before winter break begins. Here is a sampling of Columbia's most festive celebrations, sure to excite even the grouchiest of Grinches.

Governor's Carolighting

Monday, Nov. 28 at 6 p.m.
Statehouse Grounds

The 2011 Governor's Carolighting ceremony marks the event's 45th anniversary. Gov. Nikki Haley will host this holiday celebration, which features performances by the Governor's All-Star High School Chorus and Band, USC Trumpet Choir, the Palmetto Mastersingers and the USC Concert Choir and University Chorus. The event ends with the lighting of the State's Christmas tree. The Governor's Carolighting is free and open to the public. The ceremony will be broadcast on ETV at noon and 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 4.

Riverbanks Zoo's Lights Before Christmas
Nov. 19 – Dec. 30 from 6 to 9 p.m.
Riverbanks Zoo, 500 Wildlife Parkway

Though Columbia doesn't usually get much snow, those who visit the Riverbanks Zoo this season can see fake flurries every night throughout December. The zoo's annual holiday event features nearly one million lights, decorative animated images, a motion light show accompanied by music and nightly visits from Santa. Tickets are $8 in advance or $10 at the gate.

Columbia Classical Ballet's "The Nutcracker"
Dec. 1–4
Koger Center for the Arts, 1051 Greene St.

Columbia City Ballet's "The Nutcracker"
Dec. 10-12 and Dec. 16-18

Seeing a production of "The Nutcracker" is a popular holiday tradition for many families, and this season, two of Columbia's dance companies are performing the classic Tchaikovsky ballet this season. Each production is sure to provide a different experience to audiences. Tickets range in price from $5 to $35. Tickets for both productions can be purchased online through capitoltickets.com or in person at the Koger Center.

Holiday Lights on the River
Nov. 23 – Dec. 31 from 6 to 10 p.m.
Saluda Shoals Park, 5605 Bush River Road

Looking for a low-key road trip? Saluda Shoals Park is hosting its annual Holiday Lights on the River event. Visitors can view more than 400 light displays, dancing light-up trees that move with music and a 3-D Victorian Village all from the comfort of their cars. Admission for Holiday Lights is $10 per car, $20 for passenger vans and $35 for buses. During Holiday Lights, visitors can also walk through the Wetland Wonderland Walking Trail for an additional charge of $1 per person, which also includes a hayride to the boardwalk. Guests can also slide down the Winter Wonder Ride, a downhill tubing ride without snow. Tubing is $2 per slide with Holiday Lights admission.

Holiday House Tours at Robert Mills House, Hampton-Preston Mansion and Mann-Simons Cottage
Nov. 18 – Dec. 31
1601 Richland St.

Columbia's historic house museums are decorated for the holiday season and open for festive guided tours. Tour guides share stories of how holidays were celebrated in Columbia in the 19th and 20th centuries. Antique toys, holiday decorations and a spread of faux food are some of the sights visitors will see on display during the tours. Tours run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and 1 to 5 p.m. on Sundays. Admission is $5 for college students with identification and $6 for adults.

Christmas in Cayce
Dec. 1–3

Looking for a study break this weekend? Cayce is hosting a three-day celebration to bring in the holiday season. The event begins with the 34th annual Tree Lighting Ceremony at 6 p.m. on Dec. 1. The event includes appearances by city officials, musical selections from community performers and a visit from Santa. Attendees are asked to donate a nonperishable food item to decorate the city's Food Tree. If you enjoy singing, join area church choirs for Caroling Along the Cayce Riverwalk at 6:30 p.m. on Dec. 2. This is a new event that is sure to become an annual tradition during the holiday season. Choirs will be located throughout the first half mile of the park. Free hot apple cider will be served, and the Riverwalk will be lit with luminaries. Cayce closes out its celebration with Christmas Traditions during the Cayce Historical Museum's Annual Holiday Open House, which will be held from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Dec. 3. Each room of the museum will be decorated with trees and crafts from the 18th century to the present, and the event will also feature live entertainment and light refreshments.