Season ends for USC women's soccer

Gamecocks fall to top-ranked Stanford

South Carolina's women's soccer team saw its season come to an end Friday night at the hands of No. 1 Stanford.

Playing in Palo Alto, Calif., in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, the No. 22 Gamecocks struggled to find a rhythm offensively and could only contain the Cardinal attack for so long, falling on the road 2-0.

"Obviously we knew Stanford was a very good team," said coach Shelley Smith. "They showed that and proved that tonight. I'd think it would be hard for anyone in the country to beat them. A lot of credit to them to come out, do what they did and finish chances."

Stanford maintained a one-sided 15-1 shot advantage over the course of the first half and finally managed to capitalize in the 34th minute. Playing midfielder Teresa Noyola from just beyond the right side of USC's box, midfielder Mariah Nogueira sent a header past Gamecock keeper Sabrina D'Angelo, giving the Cardinal a 1-0 advantage heading into halftime.

The Pac-12 champions found the back of the net again in the 67th minute. Running onto a pass 15 yards from the goal, midfielder Taylor McCann extended the Cardinal's lead with a shot into the right corner, making it 2-0 Stanford.

Carolina managed four shots in the second half but was only able to put one on frame. Midfielder Danielle Au had two opportunities in the period to put the Gamecocks on the board but saw one go over the crossbar and the other saved by Stanford keeper Emily Oliver.

D'Angelo finished with six saves on the night while playing all 90 minutes of the match.

"Some days the best team doesn't win, but tonight it did," Smith said. "They were the better team, but I think given another opportunity our team would have a chance to win this game. We had a chance to tie it up a few times, and sometimes the ball just doesn't go your way. Credit to Stanford to put the ball away when they had the opportunity."

The loss marked the final match for USC's eight seniors, including two-time SEC Offensive Player of the Year Kayla Grimsley. Adding another SEC title to its name this season, Smith said she was proud of what the 2011 Gamecocks were able to accomplish.

"Winning the SEC championship is an amazing accomplishment. This team deserved that, and they deserved to be here and to play the No. 1 team," Smith said. "Obviously we wish we were moving on, but very we're happy with our performances all season, with the way the team came together and learned from their experiences all year.

"The team that played here tonight is 10 times the team that started the season, and you can't ask for anything more than that. I love this team. It's sad to see them finish, but I couldn't be more proud."