Women's hoops travels to Auburn

Gamecocks going back to basics after suffering consecutive losses in SEC

South Carolina has a 24-hour rule when it comes to wins and losses.

The Gamecocks can celebrate wins for 24 hours, and no longer. Similarly, they can't dwell on losses past that time frame.

USC will look to move past its back-to-back losses to LSU and Kentucky with the 24-hour rule, as the Gamecocks travel to play Auburn on Thursday.

"I think it's very important because it could affect us, but I don't think it's affecting us," said senior Markeshia Grant about the team's 24-hour rule. "We've turned the page and we're ready to play Auburn. I think we're focused and ready to play."

In turning the page, the Gamecocks have been focusing on the basics. After 50 percent free throw shooting and 28 turnovers against Kentucky, a return to the fundamentals seems logical.

"The emphasis has been being patient and just making the easy play," Grant said on eliminating turnovers. "Communicating with each other and telling our teammates where we're going to pass the ball. Just being confident with the
ball."

For coach Dawn Staley, there are positives even in the losses, as USC played close games against two of the top SEC teams in the same week.

"The mistakes that we made — they are correctable," Staley said. "We've been working on those things, but if you look at both games, we were in both games. I know Kentucky did some things to disrupt us, but even still, I think we put ourselves in position. We had the lead with 10 minutes left in the game. Barring some turnovers at the end, we had a shot of winning both games at the end. I'm proud of our team and I like the direction we're headed in. We've just got to get back on the winning track."

A change from Sunday's game against Kentucky will be the starting lineup. Staley started junior Ashley Bruner instead of senior Courtney Newton, but Staley said that USC will go back to its old lineup of Newton, Grant, junior Ieasia Walker, senior La'Keisha Sutton, and senior Charenee Stephens.

"We just thought we could capitalize on an advantage that we had on the offensive end," Staley said of the change in lineup. "I'm thankful for Courtney in just having a great attitude. I think a lot of players, if put in that position of being taken out of the starting lineup, would have probably had an attitude with me for the rest of the year. I think Courtney's an ultimate team player. She's back in the starting lineup."

Just as Newton didn't let the lineup change affect her attitude, she doesn't see the losses affecting the team. Along with getting back to the basics, the Gamecocks have been focusing on getting back to the team they were before the recent struggles.

"We're just trying to refocus on the type of team we are," Newton said. "We were getting wins. We were a really aggressive and confident team — we're just trying to get back to that and the way we started the season. We're trying to get some of our mojo back."

Furthermore, Newton didn't think the success and national recognition had anything to do with the two losses. USC was ranked No. 24 in the Associated Press Top 25 poll, but is no longer ranked after dropping two straight games.

"I think it came at a time when we had one of the toughest weeks on the SEC schedule," Newton said. "We need to respond better. We need to have a good week. We have two games on the road, so we need to come back strong."