Advertising effectively combats sexual assault

Attack rates drop in Vancouver with "Don't Be That Guy" campaign

After the incident at Penn State University earlier in the year, and another more recent episode of sexual assault right off campus on Greene Street, assault is on the forefront of a lot of college student's minds. Most incoming students are equipped with facts, tips and information pertaining to sexual attacks, as they should be. But, as with anything that's secretive and violent in nature, assault hasn't been able to be effectively fought.

Emilie_Dawson01WEB

The "Don't Be That Guy" campaign addresses the male role in assault rather than the usual tactic of simply trying to equip a girl with information against it. The different ads show a picture of a girl either passed out on a couch in party clothes, or needing help being walked to a car after a bar. Commercial slogans include phrases like, "Just because she isn't saying no, doesn't mean she's saying yes," or "Just because you help her home, doesn't mean you get to help yourself." The message is straight to the point; it says clearly that assault is wrong and extenuating circumstances aren't an excuse.

This campaign differs from others because it makes the male role in assault a social stigma. After all, who wants to be known as "that guy?" This new strategy may make the difference in women's safety. Instead of simply trying to increase caution, this campaign tells men to look at their own behavior and how it could have serious repercussions for them and for those they might hurt. By taking action against the catalyst in the situation it may stop more attacks from happening in the first place.

Campaigns for safe sex are happening everywhere in Columbia right now, especially on the USC campus. Sexual safety has always been a concern in Columbia, but maybe the "Don't Be That Guy" campaign should be looked at by more areas than just Vancouver. An advertising campaign this effective should be scooped up wherever safety is a concern. Undoubtedly, recent events have taught us that USC's campus is one of these places.