Columbia PD charges suspect in sexual assault

The University of South Carolina Police Department issued a crime bulletin Saturday afternoon via the Carolina Alert system following an incident of sexual assault.

According to the bulletin, the victim reports having been sexually assaulted by an armed assailant near the corner of Barnwell Street and Gibbes Court at approximately 3:30 a.m. on Jan. 30. The suspect then fled the scene "in an unknown direction" and remains at large. The suspect is described as between the ages of 20 and 30 years old and is approximately 150 pounds and 5 feet 5 inches.

The City of Columbia Police Department has jurisdiction over the case, and they ask that anyone with information contact them at 1-888-CRIME-SC.

The bulletin also recommends that students utilize the Rave Guardian safety app and various shuttle services, travel in groups and remain aware of their surroundings at all times.

UPDATE: The Columbia Police Department has released a photo of a "person of interest" in connection with the sexual assault on campus, WLTX reports.

UPDATE: Columbia police have charged Carlos Jovany Hernandez, 21, of West Columbia in connection with the sexual assault on campus, The State reports. Columbia Police Chief Skip Holbrook said Hernandez turned himself in on Wednesday morning after police released a surveillance footage photo of the alleged suspect. Hernandez has been charged with first-degree criminal sexual conduct.