Koumas’ transition to closer highlights bullpen

Freshman relievers will look to fill role of Taylor

Going into last season, USC coach Ray Tanner could have never anticipated the role that pitcher John Taylor would play.

With the side-arming Taylor graduated, Tanner knows how good he had it, as Taylor was able to make 50 appearances throughout the season. Tanner also knows that it will take four or five pitchers from the bullpen to replace Taylor. This was complicated more with closer Matt Price converting to a starter, moving Forrest Koumas to the closer role for the time being.

“He missed a lot of time in the fall,” Tanner said. “That’s the thing that concerns me a little bit with the hamstring injury — he was really set back. It might be the reason he’s off to a slow start, but he’s another guy that has some stripes on his sleeves. He did very well for us last year and he competed at the highest level, so I think he’ll be fine if we give him enough time to get there.”

Koumas has some big shoes to fill as he replaces an All-American in Price, who saved 20 of the teams 55 wins last season. Price won seven games with a 1.83 ERA and struck out 75 batters in 59 innings. “I’ve talked to him once or twice, but he kind of has the same mentality as me,” Price said. “He wants to go in and get everyone out. I tell him one key thing is to just be ready. Every situation isn’t going to go your way so you have to be able to counter that.”

Koumas is coming off an impressive freshman season where he went 6-1 with a 2.96 ERA. He walked just 29 batters in 73 innings pitched and also struck out 63. For Koumas to be the closer, Tanner and pitching coach Jerry Myers will have to lean on a young bullpen, but through scrimmages, Tanner’s problem has been having too many options and not knowing where they fit.

“It’s good to have some choices,” Tanner said. “I’m not sure I have all the answers right now. Hopefully, coach Myers does. There’s a lot of guys that I like and as I watch them pitch, I’m just not sure where they’re going to fit or what role is best for them.”

Right-hander Ethan Carter will be back for the Gamecocks after being absent last season. In 2010 he appeared in 24 games, compiling a 3-0 record with a 5.46 ERA and 30 strike outs in 28 innings.

“It’s nice to be back and to feel at home again,” Carter said. “I’m just trying to prove coach Tanner and coach Myers right for giving me a chance to come back. I not only want to do it for myself, but do it for them, because they’re putting a lot on the line just giving me a shot to come back.”

The Gamecocks will also rely on freshmen Evan Beal, Jordan Montgomery and Joel Seddon to make an immediate impact out of the bullpen, but the most encouraging returner will be Nolan Belcher, who missed last season after he had to have Tommy Johnsurgery. Belcher had a strong outing in his first appearance in scrimmages, striking out his first batter, which elicited dramatic cheers from the dugout.

“That was encouraging — no doubt about that one,” Tanner said. “I was glad to see Nolan out there. His teammates were hooting him a little bit, but that was good. He felt confident and his stuff was pretty good. That’s nice to see for a guy that’s been on the shelf for a little bit. He can make a difference for us.”

Though the Gamecocks face a new bullpen with the challenge of replacing John Taylor, the team will revert to the motto it has employed for every obstacle it’s faced: “win anyway.”

“We are definitely going to miss Taylor,” Tanner said. “With that being said, we have a couple of veteran guys. (Tyler) Webb made a nice contribution last year. He was out there to help us keep some games going. (Adam) Westmoreland had a pretty good start last year, but didn’t do too well in the second half. We need those guys to be strong for us in whatever role they assume.”