'Secret World of Arrietty' brings classic story to life with dazzling animation

Japanese adaptation of children's book wows audience

Japan's Studio Ghibli has a major reputation for delivering some of the greatest animated films in the world. Many of them have come from the extremely imaginative mind of acclaimed director and storyteller Hayao Miyazaki, such as the Academy Award–winning film "Spirited Away" (2001) and the Academy Award–nominated film "Howl's Moving Castle" (2004).

However, animator-turned-director Hiromasa Yonebayashi handles the directing for "The Secret World of Arrietty," the latest Studio Ghibli project to come to America. Miyazaki did write the screenplay for the film and adds the usual thematic material found in a Miyazaki film, such as the coming-of-age story, environmentalism, feminism and pacifism.

The simple but charming story for "The Secret World of Arrietty" is adapted from the classic children's book "The Borrowers," presented in a more laid-back fashion that easily distinguishes it from American animation.

Our heroine is the title character (voiced by Disney Channel's Bridgit Mendler), a young girl from a miniature-sized family of "borrowers" secretly dwelling underneath the floorboards of a suburban Tokyo home. They survive by foraging for food and finding resourceful uses for the household objects dropped by the "human beans," as the borrowers call them. She is a spirited, adventurous girl who is anxious to go on her first borrowing expedition with her stoic father, Pod (Will Arnett), much to the dismay of her hysterical mother (Amy Poehler).

Unknown to the family, a sickly human boy named Shawn (David Henrie) arrives to live in the house with his great aunt before a heart operation. On her maiden expedition for a sugar cube and a handkerchief, Shawn spots Arrietty and eventually forms a touching bond with her. Because their existence is now known, the borrowers are forced to move to another house while eluding the housemaid Hara (Carol Burnett) while Shawn puts his health on the line to help them.

With "The Secret World of Arrietty," Studio Ghibli continues to rely on its signature, old-school hand-drawn animation instead of today's modern computer-generated animation. And the animation is absolutely dazzling to look at, with the lush greenery of the yard and the surrounding forest so vibrant that you could practically smell the abundant scent of the summer countryside.

For all of the usual Miyazaki themes, there's one particular theme that "Arrietty" lacks: magic. Most of Studio Ghibli's previous works involve imaginative worlds — whether based off Japanese mythology or Miyazaki's own imagination — filled with magic and mysticism like woodland spirits in "Princess Mononoke" (1997) and the dragons, witches and wondrous alternate world in "Spirited Away." This story takes place in a simple suburban home with normal people and tiny people underneath the floorboards.

Here lies the only problem with "Arrietty:" the fact that it doesn't contain that same wild flight of imagination as other Miyazaki films since it's based on recognized material. The movie also contains a few plot turns that seem abrupt, especially the introduction of a borrower from outside the house.

The story may not have much to it, but it does contain some excellent set pieces that make it unforgettable. The most notable is a powerful sequence of violent spectacle, where a crow flies at Shawn's bedroom window and crashes in, thinking Arrietty is a tasty snack.

Above all else, "Arrietty" works because it accomplishes what great animated films are supposed to accomplish. It captures the imagination of young minds and helps those of an older generation communicate with their inner child as they witness this delightful story about respecting all living creatures. Children can enjoy the borrowers' thrilling incursions into the house, while adults can marvel at the beautiful detail of the interior and verdant backgrounds.

Many people reading this review probably won't give "The Secret World of Arrietty" a chance, but they can trust me when I say that watching a Studio Ghibli film is a similar experience to watching stories from Pixar. "The Secret World of Arrietty" is no exception.