Survival Guide: Bonnaroo Basics

Tennessee’s famed music festival offers fans eclectic experience

Every year in June, the city of Manchester, Tennessee is invaded.

What started out as a pipe dream in the minds of music lovers who yearned for the chance to see all their favorite artists in one place for a price that didn’t bruise their bank accounts has now flourished into a decade-long celebration of life, music and love of the arts — also known as Bonnaroo. Thousands of fans spend months marking X’s on their calendars — and that’s just waiting for the lineup to be announced. This year’s set list dropped on Valentine’s day, and as always, the mass event will host an eclectic group of rappers, rockers and artists. But Bonnaroo should not be entered into lightly, so before you pack up the car (first-timers), make sure you know what you’re getting into.

Be Prepared Not to Shower (or smell nice)

If you’re planning to shack up at a ritzy hotel during your time at Bonnaroo, chances are you’re going to miss out on the full experience. And you might even get laughed at by some of the festival veterans. Part of that experience is, of course, camping out with thousands of your closest friends. Now imagine trying to snag a shower with that many neighbors swarming around you. Exactly. And with so many activities and performances going on around the clock, bathing will soon be the last thing on your mind. Who cares about a shower when there’s a Big Ass Water Slide? But if you’re the type who can’t go a day without lathering up, never fear. The campgrounds offer showers for a small fee, or go big with the VIP package which includes deluxe showers. Whatever that means.

There is No Excuse to Be Sitting Still

There is absolutely no way you can see every act, visit every tent and do every activity at Bonnaroo. But that doesn’t mean you can’t try. And hey, you can sleep when you’re dead, right? This year boasts one of the festival’s best lineups, with Radiohead, Phish, Mac Miller, Yelawolf and the Roots all on tap to take the stage over the weekend. Not to mention an impressive array of yoga classes, brewer tents, cinemas and even an environmentally friendly trading post that promotes recycling and sustainability by accepting cans and bottles for Bonnaroo “rewards.” There’s even a silent disco tent, which ... well it’s pretty much exactly how it sounds. In short, there’s no reason not to experience everything the festival has to offer, whether it be jamming out to your favorite band on stage, taking part in a going-green discussion at the solar stage in Planet Roo or rising with the sun on your yoga mat.

Recycle, Recycle, Recycle

Besides a killer collection of current and classic artists, Bonnaroo is also known for being one of, if not the most, eco-friendly festivals to date. Over the years, Bonnaroo has diverted countless tons of waste into reusable and recyclable materials. ‘Roo has even implemented a “Victory Garden,” which encourages patrons to grow their own sustainable food sources through seed swaps and educational workshops. You’ll leave the festival not only with a head full of memories, but full of educational tools that will stick with you long after the music dies down.

Make Friends ­— With Everyone

The word “bonnaroo” actually means “a really good time” in French slang. So why not have one while you’re there? The craving to go to Bonnaroo is not one easily satisfied with a single visit, so you can bet the majority of the festival crowd has been making the trek for a while now. This is one of the festival’s best aspects; it has the ability to unite people from very distinct backgrounds for the love of music and art. So make sure to get to know the people around you, because chances are you’ll be seeing those same faces again next year. And why would you want to soak in all the good times alone?