USC softball throttles Winthrop at home

Gamecocks boosted by offensive performance in early innings in rout of Lady Eagles

The South Carolina softball team looked very determined Wednesday night at Beckham Field, as it came out on fire and blasted Winthrop (4-4) out of Columbia by a score of 9-1 in five innings of play.

The Gamecocks (7-3) wasted no time after the first pitch. They managed to score seven runs and knock two pitchers out of the game in the first two innings, picking up right where they left off after a 15-run performance last Sunday.

Starting pitcher Audrey Broyles blew through Winthrop’s first three batters in the top of the first inning. In the bottom half of the same inning, South Carolina’s offense was able to bat through the lineup, taking a 4-0 lead and forcing Winthrop’s starting pitcher out of the game with only one out recorded.

After another efficient pitching job in the second inning by Broyles, the offense got right back at it and scored a trio of runs, as the Gamecocks were nearly able to bat through the order a second time.

While it may not have been a strategy she planned on, having so many at-bats in two innings was something coach Beverly Smith enjoyed seeing.

“Any time we can bat through the lineup, it’s great,” Smith said. “I thought the kids did a nice job in their at-bats of swinging at good pitches, making very good contact and we were able to take advantage of some walks and hit batters.”

One of those players that did particularly well at the plate was second baseman Dana Hathorn, who went 2-for-3 on the night with two doubles and four RBIs.

Her coach’s message of needing to produce quality at-bats has stuck with the sophomore, and she continues to improve her game.

“My approach today was just going after first-pitch strikes,” Hathorn said, “because over the weekend I took the first strike and I wasn’t as aggressive. I was just going in with the mentality of just being aggressive.”

Hathorn came up with runners on base in each of the first two innings, and though she had potential runs sitting on the base paths in front of her, Hathorn insists her approach was consistent.

“I try to keep the same mentality,” Hathorn said, “because I think if I change my mentality with people on base it puts a lot of pressure on me. So, I just try to keep it simple and just go up there and try to do my job.”

After the score was raised to 7-0, the Eagles’ second pitcher entered the game and was able to keep South Carolina scoreless for the following two innings.

The Gamecocks had no such pitching problems as Broyles pitched four innings and allowed just one run on four hits. Winthrop’s only run came in the top of the fourth, an inning in which Winthrop subbed in a total of six players. Kierstyn White then took over and pitched herself into and out of a jam in the fifth.

“I think any time a pitcher’s doing great it brings a lot of confidence and it just helps carry the game,” Hathorn said. “And as a hitter, you feel more comfortable.”

South Carolina reignited its offense once more in the bottom of the fifth. Shelby Gonzalez and Hannah Milks both reached base with singles, and Codee Yeske, who came in to play shortstop for Samie Garcia in the fourth inning, reached base on a fielding error by Winthrop’s third baseman.

With no outs and the bases loaded, the Eagles put their starting pitcher, who had been pulled after one out in the first, back in the game. She had not improved while sitting on the bench, as she effectively ended the game by hitting Kaitlin Westfall and walking Evan Childs, mistakes that pushed two runs across the plate and upped the score to a final of 9-1.

Smith was more than happy to see her squad cut the game short.

“We have the eight-run rule in softball,” Smith said, “so if you’re ahead by eight [runs] after five [innings], the game’s over. Any time we have an opportunity to do that we want to do it, so I was proud that our team went ahead and put the game away.”