Whose house? Rev Run takes over Russell

Carolina Productions brings former Run-D.M.C. rapper, reality TV star to campus

The line started forming before 7 p.m.

A buzzing crowd of USC students snaked its way around the Russell House lobby, slowly winding into an already packed ballroom. As funky fresh beats courtesy of old-school rappers Tone Loc, N.W.A. and Public Enemy vibrated the speakers, it became clear that this wasn't Russell House anymore; it was Run's House.

Carolina Productions hosted Joseph Simmons, better known to this generation as Rev Run from MTV's "Run's House," on Thursday night for an intimate discussion on life, music and, of course, Run-D.M.C. While it's been a couple of decades since Rev Run walked this way with Aerosmith or told us how "tricky" it was to be one-third of the groundbreaking hip-hop group, Run proved there's no dust collecting on his game, breaking into an impromptu rap the moment his feet hit the stage.

But the evening soon took a turn for the mellow, as the reverend of rap settled into his chair for a series of questions moderated by USC African American studies professor Kimberly Simmons. Run began by reflecting on his initial exposure to the world of hip-hop, chronicling his early obsession with radio DJs, mixtapes and Grandmaster Flash. But it was one experience in the eighth grade that left the greatest impression on the young emcee.

"I became fascinated with radio DJs," Rev Run said. "In eighth grade, I went to my friend's house and he had all these psychedelic lights, and he started playing records by Chic where it sounded like they were rapping, but it was something totally different."

From there, Rev Run began his foray into the music world, tacking up promo posters for shows featuring his brother (multi-mogul and Def Jam founder Russell Simmons) and protégée Kurtis Blow on Jamaica Street in Queens, N.Y. Simmons soon became immersed in mixtape culture, picking up copies of original, experimental material cut by groups like Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five on the streets of Manhattan before rap records were sold in stores. And when he wasn't soaking in the hip-hop, Simmons could be found DJing in the attic of his home.

So how exactly did Rev Run make the transition from chunky chain-wearing rapper to the white-collared reverend we see on stage today? According to the reverend, the height of his Run-D.M.C. fame was also his low point, as he continuously strived to outshine the competition of rap peers like LL Cool J and the Fat Boys. Bursting onto the stage in a surge of ferocity, Rev Run admitted he would trample anything in his way to get to the front and stand out against the big names.

"I was crazy," Rev Run said. "I was out of my mind I was so competitive."

Eventually, Rev Run came to the realization that even though he had fulfilled all of his material desires, a large part of him was still empty inside. Soaking in a tub at a hotel in Los Angeles, Rev Run felt himself rejecting the idea of success and decided it was time to make a change.

"I realized that I had this gift," Rev Run said. "I knew I could have things, but I didn't want those things to have me."

It wasn't long before Rev Run found himself heading to church every Sunday, toting along the biggest Bible he could find (he was still very competitive) as he cultivated his relationship with God. Deciding that if he was going to find God, he wasn't going to miss even the smallest detail. Rev Run was soon named an usher at his church, where he was often recognized by young fans as he seated them in the pews. Although he would always be Run, the Rev knew this was not his ultimate destiny.

"I became very focused on wanting more from God," Rev Run said. "I had this vision of having the white collar and really having it all together that a lot of people didn't understand."

But Rev Run continued to live out his vision, and he encouraged USC students to do the same with their own ideas. One of the key elements, Rev Run said, is to never let the haters keep you down.

"Many of you have visions, and there are so many haters out there who will try and stop your vision because they've never seen an idea like yours," Rev Run said. "God put you on this earth to succeed, but there will not be a testimony without a test."

Rev Run also advised students to remain open to new ideas, a concept he familiarized himself with after originally turning down ideas to collaborate with Aerosmith on "Walk This Way" or the Adidas sneakers he first described as "fugly." As for his thoughts on the current state of hip-hop, Rev Run said he is highly impressed with artists like Lil Wayne for putting out artists like Nicki Minaj and Drake while building up powerhouse companies like Young Money Entertainment. Although he still believes in the honor and "groove" of old-school classic rap, Rev Run said he is watching the genre unfold in this century with no criticism at all.

"I don't sit on the judgment seat; it's not my job in life," Run said. "I don't tell people what to do, even when I'm giving a sermon. If the younger generation wants to discover acts like A Tribe Called Quest and Run-D.M.C, let them do it on their own."

Rev Run has a definite power about him, and even sitting one-on-one after his talk with students, he still maintains a righteous energy that is both inspirational and soothing. When asked about how he created the perfect balance between "Run" and "Rev," he says it's been a surprisingly easy task.

"I'm blessed that a lot of young people have seen me on TV," Rev Run said. "To be my old age, I'm lucky I get to keep both the Rev and the Run. I am a kid, but I don't try to be one because I want them to like me for me."

Speaking to his wife Justine as she read the newspaper in the seat next to him, Rev Run looked upward as he smiled to himself in reflection of the evening's discussion.

"I kept it real," he said, gently nodding his head. "I kept it real and so deep."