Esperanza Spalding sings above award-winning controversy

Jazz singer proves chops in ‘Radio Music Society’

Esperanza Spalding didn’t let the haters get her down.

When the jazz singer and classically trained bassist beat out Justin Bieber to win the 2011 Grammy Award for Best New Artist (becoming the first jazz artist to win that category), his fans sounded off on Twitter and edited her Wikipedia page to include insults and hateful comments. But Spalding didn’t allow negative feedback to keep her away from making music.

Spalding’s latest album, “Radio Music Society,” hits stores today and is a funkier, more spirited release than 2010’s “Chamber Music Society.” The 27-year-old musician brings in top 40-friendly backup singers and Beyonce-esque “ooh woah ooh” vocal runs, but she hasn’t neglected her jazz roots.

Spalding was raised in Portland, Oregon, but her diverse heritage spans several ethnicities, and she draws upon the music of other cultures for inspiration. Latin flavor, R&B, pop and funk influences are evident throughout the album, and Spalding seems at home singing and playing along across each of those genres.

The album kicks off with the sunny, upbeat “Radio Song,” on which Spalding says, “now you can’t help singing along/this song’s the one.” The chorus of singers behind her sound as if they’d fit right in on a Broadway stage, and it’s hard not to smile while snapping along to this fun track.

“Hold On Me” is a throwback to the big band sound of 1940s swing music, filled with swelling horns and strong cymbal clashes. A confident Spalding shines behind the mic on this track, showing off vocal chops that match the likes of modern soul divas Jill Scott and Erykah Badu. The song is sexy, sassy and one you’ll want to play on repeat for weeks on end.

“Vague Suspicions” is a soothing piece that features light jazz flute, subtle horn fanfares and a quiet rhythm throughout. The song is a good fit for Spalding’s breathy vocals, but it seems to drag on.

“Endangered Species” is funky and sounds fresh, although it probably could’ve been a hit in fusion jazz’s 1970s heyday. Spalding wisely put this fast tune after sleepy “Vague Suspicions,” as the rhythmic instrumental mix is sure to wake up any ears. The singer is joined by Wayne Shorter of Weather Report on the track, and the two display impeccable musical chemistry.

“Endangered Species” has the heaviest instrumental texture of all the tracks on “Radio Music Society,” and it’s the most energetic song on the album, too.

“Let Her” layers answering machine messages and telephone dial tones under a rocking jazz score, with Spalding singing “She’s gone/ bye bye so long” in the chorus, telling an ex that he’ll never get her back.

The album’s closing track, “Smile Like That,” features Santana-worthy guitar solos and gets things rocking. “I want a smile like that,” Spalding sings, spreading positivity as the final notes sounds.

All the songs on “Radio Music Society” seem to play beyond the typical radio-friendly three minute limit and those listeners who are not diehard jazz fans may think several tracks are more suitable as elevator music than iPod jams. Spalding is clearly in her element, though, and she hasn’t strayed too far from the genre that helped her rise to award-winning status.

This likely won’t be the last audiences hear of Spalding, as her true talent would be wasted if she stopped putting out records.