Simpson's Cinema: Summer Flicks

Superhero films, Pixar's first female protagonist among upcoming summer movie offerings

Summer has always been the ideal time of year for film studios to release their big blockbuster epics. They dole out mounds of cash in order to fill the budget with big name actors and flashy special effects. The upcoming "Battleship" is a prime example, taking a simple board game and turning it into a special effect-based alien epic. And, of course, there are always the superhero films and sequels. Some look promising (like "The Avengers" and "The Dark Knight Rises") while others don't hold much promise (like "Ice Age: Continental Drift").

But one thing that is great about summer films is the amount of variety offered. Whether it's a comedy, a science fiction epic or an animated film, there is always something for everybody. Here are some of this summer's highly expected films to look out for:

"The Dark Knight Rises"
Aside from "The Avengers," "The Dark Knight Rises" is definitely the most anticipated superhero flick of the summer. Director Christopher Nolan has worked on some of the most thought-provoking summer blockbusters ever made and "The Dark Knights Rises" promises to be just as intelligent and provocative as its predecessor. The story will take place eight years after the events in "The Dark Knight" and we'll see the return of Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman as well as the addition of new characters like Anne Hathaway as Catwoman and Tom Hardy as Bane. The film opens July 20.

"Prometheus"
"Prometheus's" status as an official prequel to the "Alien" franchise may have been removed, but director Ridley Scott assures us that "Prometheus" will return to the dark science fiction world of the 1979 classic. Scott is keeping the story under wraps, but the haunting trailer reveals an unearthing of some ruins that could help discover the origins of mankind. Compared to the usual action-fests that typify this genre during the summer, "Prometheus" promises to offer a more cerebral feel to the genre. Along with, of course, epic special effects, an impeccable design sense and an impressive cast that will contribute to the grandiose storytelling. "Prometheus" opens June 8.

"Moonrise Kingdom"
Wes Anderson's "Moonrise Kingdom" tells the story of a pair of young lovers who flee their New England island town, which prompts a local search party to seek them out. Just think of the movie as a live-action "Fantastic Mr. Fox" (if you have seen it), which was also directed by Anderson. "Moonrise Kingdom" seems to employ Anderson's trademark aesthetics including the usage of primary colors, dry humor and distinct visual landscapes. Plus, this movie couldn't possibly be a waste of time with its great-looking cast, which includes Bruce Willis, Francis McDormand, Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman, Tilda Swinton and Edward Norton. The film will enter theaters with a limited release on May 25.

"Brave"
Any regular moviegoer should know that Pixar makes some of the best films in America. But after the studio suffered its first real misfire with "Cars 2" last summer, Pixar is in desperate need to live up to its reputation based on its nearly flawless track record. "Brave" will feature the studio's first female protagonist as well as its first female director. The story centers on headstrong Scottish princess Merida (Kelly Macdonald) who refuses to follow her people's age-old customs and decides to chart her own course in life with her skill in archery despite the disapproval of her parents. However, her actions unleash dark forces on the kingdom. "Brave" hits theaters on June 22.

"The Dictator"
On the Oscar red carpet two months ago, Sacha Baron Cohen showcased his latest on-screen persona, The Dictator, and displayed a very line-crossing maneuver by showering Ryan Seacrest with "ashes." This risky action could possibly affect the box office outcome of "The Dictator," which might be bad for Cohen because he needs this film to be a success. But this movie is actually a departure from Cohen's signature mockumentary style as it features a supporting cast of well-known actors and proper camerawork. The biggest question here is whether Cohen can still entertain by portraying oblivious foreigners who do inappropriate things or whether his tactics have run dry by now. "The Dictator" opens May 16.