Columbia dishes up crêpes, croissants

New pastry shop brings bit of France to Sumter Street

Crêpes and Croissants, a new restaurant on Sumter Street, is bringing French flair to downtown Columbia.

The eatery, whose grand opening was on June 6, is nestled in the middle of a block at 1465 Sumter St. and offers an interesting selection. Croissants and tarts are on display in a small glass case next to the register for customers to see before they order. Additionally, both sweet and savory crêpes are freshly prepared to customer's specifications.

Meat crêpes are named after the city or country that they represent. The "Paris," which contains ham, Swiss cheese and "cracked and cooked egg," is a great option for breakfast or lunch. During a recent trip, the "Italy," which contains basil-marinated chicken, mozzarella and tomatoes, was not as tasty. The mozzarella cheese was so sparse that it seemed nonexistent, the tomatoes were not fresh and overall the crêpe was quite bland.

The size is just right though, with the perfectly proportioned entrees leaving just enough room for a selection of rich desserts. The delicious coffee sundae is extra creamy with just the right balance of coffee flavor and sugar. The "cherry on top" of this sundae is not a cherry at all, but rather two divine dollops of homemade whipped cream. The custard and chocolate cake, however, fall short of expectations. The custard tastes like a gelatin version of liquid eggs, and the taste and texture of the chocolate cake is closer to a brownie with a hint of some indeterminable bitter substance. And while the coffee sundae was a perfect size, the custard and chocolate cake come in small aluminum cups that hardly constitute a whole serving.

Prices at Crêpes and Croissants are extremely reasonable, with everything on the menu ringing up under $9. This week they're running a breakfast special until 11 a.m. — one croissant with butter and jam and one small hot beverage for only $3. According to one cashier, this special may become permanent depending on its popularity and success.

Parking near the restaurant is limited, so customers should either bring quarters for the meters or allot extra money to park in the garage next to the restaurant.

Crêpes and Croissants is open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., and is now open for brunch on the weekends from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.