USC returns to Omaha

South Carolina heading to CWS for 3rd consecutive year

South Carolina is making its third consecutive trip to college baseball's mecca.

The Gamecocks enter this year's College World Series as the two-time defending champions after closing down Rosenblatt Stadium with their first title and opening TD Ameritrade Park with their second. This year, USC is poised to meet some familiar foes in the CWS. The Gamecocks will be fighting to represent bracket two in the national title series. Here's how the bracket breaks down:

South Carolina (45-17)
The Gamecocks are 5-0 in postseason play after sweeping Oklahoma in the Columbia Super Regional, where they outscored the Sooners 10-1. South Carolina's program has had plenty of experience under the bright lights of the College World Series, but this year's squad features several starters who will be making their first trips to Omaha. USC's big bat is Christian Walker, a fourth-round pick of the Baltimore Orioles who enters the CWS with a .315 batting average and 11 homeruns. The Gamecocks' pitching staff boasts a 3.06 ERA, which ranks 17th in the nation. South Carolina's .979 fielding percentage is tied with Florida for the best in the field of eight.

Florida (47-18)
The Gators are also making a third consecutive trip to Omaha, the first time in the program's history that they've achieved that mark. Florida has a knack for the long ball, as the Gators have pounded out 75 homeruns this season. Catcher Mike Zunino, the third overall pick in this year's MLB draft, leads the team with 19 homers. UF's pitching staff has issued just 2.03 walks per nine innings, the second-best rate in the country. Florida enters the CWS as the top-seeded team in the field. The Gators are hungry for a title after coming up short last season, where they fell to South Carolina in the championship series.

Arkansas (44-20)
The Razorbacks fought off elimination in the Waco Super Regional, beating Baylor in consecutive one-run games to punch their ticket to Omaha. The Hogs are one of the worst hitting teams in the field, averaging just 5.3 runs per game this season, and third baseman Matt Reynolds anchors the lineup with a .338 average. Arkansas' pitching staff has been the team's strong point. The Razorback pitchers have a combined ERA of 2.90, which is tied with Florida for the lowest in the CWS. Arkansas has shut out ten opponents this season, the second-most in school history. The Hogs are making their first trip to the College World Series since 2009.

Kent State (46-18)
The Golden Flashes captured the Mid-American Conference championship, endured a 21-inning marathon against Kentucky in the Gary Regional, and knocked off Oregon on the road to advance to their first-ever College World Series. Kent State's bats have been hot all season, as the Golden Flashes roll into Omaha with a .302 team batting average. Kent State's pitching staff has been solid as well, led by David Starn. The senior has 123 strikeouts on the year and is eighth-best in the nation. Kent State is the first school from the MAC to make the CWS since Eastern Michigan in 1976.