Frequently Asked Questions about USC sports

Gamecock Jesus, Martin among people to know

How good can the football team be this year?
Historically good, if everything goes their way. On paper, this is possibly the most talented team in school history. USC has a formidable defensive line, a Heisman contender at running back and a smart, accurate quarterback. However, the Gamecocks have a brutal schedule, which could derail a magical season. If the team falters under the expectations and lets their guard down at any point during the year, USC could stumble to an 8-4 record. If they click on all cylinders, there could be national title talk in Columbia around Thanksgiving.

Will Frank Martin save the basketball team?
It depends on your expectations. If you believe that USC should be a top-25 team and a conference title contender, you also probably believed that Avatar was a documentary. However, if you expect the Gamecocks to post winning records and be a bubble team for the NCAA tournament, Martin can probably make that happen in a few years. His first few seasons may be rough, but Martin seems like a guy who could get the program going in the right direction.

Who is the long-haired guy with the flag at the basketball games?
That is Gamecock Jesus, and he is who you should aspire to be. He is unwavering in his support and has been a fixture at USC sporting events, specifically men's and women's basketball and baseball, as long as anyone can remember. His name is Carlton Thompson and he graduated from USC in 1980 with a degree in nursing. He is loud, passionate and everything a true Gamecock fan should be.

Is the baseball the only sport that USC has won a national championship in?
The Gamecocks have two baseball national titles, but they are not the only ones USC has captured. The women's track and field team won the national championship in 2002 and the equestrian team won national championships in 2005 and 2007. The equestrian team has also won the Hunt Seat National Championship three times, in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

What is everybody chanting prior to kickoff at football games?
Once the ball has been teed off, everyone in the stadium forms a spur with their hand. This is done by making and fist, then extending the thumb and pinky. Once the spur is made, everyone makes a circle with their raised "spur," while yelling "Goooooooooo...," until the kicker makes contact with the ball. When the ball is kicked, everyone yells "Cocks! Fight! Win! Kick ... " and we're sure you can fill in the blank. If necessary, make yourself a cheat sheet for the first game.

Has the football team always been this good?
Not even close. In 1998, USC won the season opener against Ball State and then proceeded to lose 21 consecutive games. The Gamecocks didn't win another game until the 2000 season opener against New Mexico State. The Gamecocks have one conference title in the program's history, the 1969 ACC Championship. USC also didn't win their first bowl game until the 1995 Carquest Bowl. Keep in mind, the school started playing football in 1892. What you have seen the last two seasons is not typical. Savor every moment.

How do I get to the football stadium?
The stadium is located at 1125 George Rogers Blvd. You can see the stadium from campus, so if you follow the crowd on Saturdays, you should be able to find it without any issues. One of the best ways to get there for students is to take the shuttle buses, which start running three hours prior to kickoff, usually from the Carolina Coliseum parking lot. If you plan on driving yourself, leave several hours before game time. Otherwise, you'll find yourself listening to the first quarter on the radio while you sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Who is George Rogers?
George Rogers was a running back for South Carolina from 1977 to 1980. He won the Heisman Trophy in 1980, the only Gamecock to ever earn that honor. He was the No. 1 overall draft pick in the 1981 NFL draft by the New Orleans Saints. You can see him at home football games with his trophy in the stadium parking lot.

Do all the sports teams at USC compete in the SEC?
All of the varsity teams at South Carolina play in the Southeastern Conference, except for men's soccer, which competes in Conference USA because the SEC does not sponsor men's soccer.

Is the USC/Clemson rivalry really as big a deal as people say?
No. It's bigger.