Gamecocks prepare for fall practice

USC looking to build off momentum from 2011 season

Quarterback:
For the first time since Steve Spurrier arrived in Columbia, there is not even a hint of controversy surrounding the starting quarterback job. After relieving Stephen Garcia of the starting role midway through last season, junior Connor Shaw enters 2012 with control over the offense. Barring injury, Shaw should be under center for every meaningful snap this season. If Shaw goes down, the backup role will likely go to Dylan Thompson.

Running Back:
South Carolina fans are anxiously waiting to see if junior Marcus Lattimore is back at 100 percent following a season-ending knee injury last season against Mississippi State. The Gamecocks turned to Brandon Wilds for the second half of the season, and the freshman filled in nicely. Along with Wilds, USC can also hand the ball to senior Kenny Miles or redshirt freshman Shon Carson. Several capable tailbacks means the Gamecocks will be able to spread the ball over the backfield and keep Lattimore and company fresh.

Wide Receivers:
USC's go-to receiver, Alshon Jeffrey, is now catching passes for the Chicago Bears, so the Gamecocks will rely on a multitude of players to replace his productivity. The main target for Shaw could be junior Ace Sanders, who came up with several big catches last season, along with DeAngelo Smith and D.L. Moore. After spending most of last season running reverses, Damiere Byrd is another speedster who could take a bigger part in the passing game this year. The Gamecocks will also see if Alshon's younger brother, Shamier Jeffrey, can step up after redshirting last season.

Offensive Line:
The front five will be anchored by senior center T.J. Johnson, who will serve as the veteran leader on the line. USC has Brandon Shell as a potential solution at the tackle spot, but Shell has only played four snaps in his collegiate career. Sophomore tackle Mike Matulis showed potential in several starts last season for the Gamecocks. With USC relying more on a ground attack, the offensive line will have to hold its own against the talented defensive fronts in the SEC.

Defensive Line:
USC will boast one of the top defensive lines in the conference and possibly in the nation. After a strong freshman campaign, defensive end Jadeveon Clowney will be expected to have more of an impact in his second year in Columbia. Combined with senior Devin Taylor, the Gamecocks will have formidable pair of bookends. New defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward will look for his line to set the tone for the unit.

Linebackers:
The Gamecocks will have a veteran corps of linebackers, led by a quartet of seniors. Reginald Bowens, Damario Jeffrey, Quin Smith and Shaq Wilson will be the experienced leaders of the unit and will likely receive the majority of the playing time. With USC facing a multitude of offensive schemes throughout the year, this position will be critical. Although overshadowed by the bigger names on the defensive line, the play of the linebackers could make the difference in close games.

Secondary:
After losing Stephon Gilmore to the NFL draft, USC will look to replace him with Victor Hampton and Akeem Auguste at the corners. Auguste missed all of 2011 with an injury, but Hampton showed promise last year. DeVonte Holloman will be moving to spur to replace Antonio Allen. A healthy Brison Williams, who suffered a broken arm last season, will also give the Gamecocks additional depth in the secondary.

Special Teams:
The Gamecocks have to replace both kickers from last season, Spencer Lanning and Joey Scribner-Howard. Landon Ard and Adam Yates will be competing for the placekicker spot. Mike Williamson was a pleasant surprise during the spring and could take over the punting duties, while newcomer Nick St. Germain is the wild card of the group.