Linebacker corps anchored by senior leadership

Wilson, Bowens, Holloman top 3 after preseason

For senior linebacker corps, Aug. 30 can’t come soon enough, as linebackers Shaq Wilson said he and Reginald Bowens have been watching film of Vanderbilt’s offense since spring practice.

Wilson, who calls Bowens his “brother from another mother,” said he, Bowens and fellow senior safety D.J. Swearinger turn on some music to go with the silent film and study the Vanderbilt offense. The dedication, even months before the season opener, is just one of the ways the veteran group is setting the standard for the young reserves.

All-American spur Antonio Allen was one of the leaders of the 2011 defense after racking up 88 tackles, 9.5 for loss, forcing four fumbles and intercepting three passes. While Allen is now playing in the NFL, Wilson, Bowens, Swearinger and another senior, spur DeVonte Holloman, are looking to replicate that success.

On the most recent depth chart, the three seniors are listed at the three linebacker spots (including the spur position, which is a hybrid safety) heading into the 2012 season.

The experience will prove valuable to Holloman, who is moving from his strong safety spot to take over the spur position. After seeing the kind of success Allen had at the position last year, Holloman is ready for the opportunity.

“Everybody wants to go on to the next level, so my mindset isn’t any different than anyone else,” Holloman said. “I want to be a little bit more physical (than Allen), but I want to be just as productive as he was, if not more so.”

The senior leadership now present in the middle of the defense provides linebackers coach Kirk Botkin with the added luxury of swapping out players during games.

“I’ve got three seniors at the Mike and Will (linebacker spots) and a senior at spur, so if they get a little tired, we can expel you for a couple plays,” Botkin recently told reporters after practice. “So I tell those guys to go as hard as you possibly can, until you get tired.”

From the player’s perspective, the veteran experience allows for more harmony between the positions.

“We all have the same goals, and we want to go out on top,” Holloman said. “We have a lot of guys coming back — a lot of leaders — so we’re just out there talking and communicating. It’s a whole lot better when there is a lot of minds thinking.”

While senior Damario Jeffery is no longer the starter at one of the linebacker spots, expect the Columbia native to battle Bowens, who is currently No. 1 on the depth chart, for playing time.

“Day in and day out, they’re all pushing each other,” Botkin said. “Competition brings out the best in everybody, so you never know. But if we were to play today, Reginald would start.”

Senior Quin Smith and sophomore Sharrod Golightly are also expected to get playing time at the linebacker and spur positions, respectively, though Golightly is suspended the first three games of the season for a violation of team rules. In addition, freshman Jordan Diggs has been pushing for playing time and, according to Botkin, is a “really sharp player.”

With the recent groin injury to defensive back Akeem Auguste, the Gamecocks will now likely start Victor Hampton and Jimmy Legree, who have a limited amount of experience, at the two cornerback spots.

With the lack of game experience on the corners, the veterans up the middle understand they will be the leaders of the defense this season. Since most are seniors, it will be the last opportunity they have to make an impact on the Gamecocks.

“We want to do everything right,” Wilson said. “We want to show the young guys how it’s done, how you do everything at full speed. That’s how we got to the top and that is how we are going to go to the top. It’s our last go-round, and we have to do things the right way.”