McEvoy suspended from team activities

Quarterback charged with speeding, driving after underage drinking

According to the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office, McEvoy, 19, was pulled over at 9:26 p.m. in Charlotte, was arrested and was released on Sunday on $250 bond. North Carolina state law bans individuals under the age of 21 from driving if any alcohol is found in their bloodstream. The charge is a Class II misdemeanor.

McEvoy has been suspended from all team activities, per the South Carolina athletic department policy.

As a senior at Bergen Catholic High School, McEvoy was named the 2010 New Jersey Offensive Player of the Year after passing for 2,264 yards and 32 touchdowns. McEvoy also rushed for 1,196 yards and 14 scores that season. His senior season was McEvoy's first at the quarterback position, as he played wide receiver and safety during his sophomore and junior years. McEvoy arrived in Columbia as the No. 11 recruit in the state of New Jersey and as 25th-ranked athlete in the country.

The 6-foot-6-inch, 206-pound McEvoy redshirted last season and was expected to battle Dylan Thompson, Andrew Clifford and Seth Strickland for the No. 2 quarterback position behind Connor Shaw. The Hillsdale, N.J., native was listed as the fourth-string quarterback on USC's preseason depth chart.

McEvoy will be suspended until meeting with new athletic director Ray Tanner, who will decide how long McEvoy will be kept from participating in team activities.

"It will be Tanner vs. Tanner in the meeting, Coach Tanner and Tanner McEvoy," head coach Steve Spurrier said on Tuesday. "So when the Tanners get through talking we will find out what the punishment is."