Offensive line to rely on Johnson, newcomers

Starting spots up for grabs late into preseason camp

The departure of starting left tackle Rokevious Watkins left a major question mark for USC’s offensive line, making returning players crucial to the unit’s success this year.

The Gamecocks will rely on the leadership of senior center T.J. Johnson, who has started every game South Carolina has played in the past two years. Along with sophomore starter A.J. Cann, Johnson will anchor a line on which several returning players will see a greater role.

The rotation for tackles has yet to be determined by South Carolina, but the team will need strong play from reserves as well as starters.

“Ideally, I would like to end up with a four-man rotation,” said offensive line coach Shawn Elliott. “We have six tackles. An ideal situation is to get two great ones and two really good ones to back them up.”

Sophomores Cody Gibson and Mike Matulis are front-runners for starting spots as tackles, and Elliott praised the work they’ve done in training camp.

“Cody has worked really hard,” Elliott said. “He’s gotten strong over the summer. He’s done a lot of good things over the summer. Mike is working hard also.”

Matulis was almost redshirted last season, until an injury to Kyle Nunn made him indispensable to the offensive line. Gibson will see more time on the field after playing in seven of South Carolina’s last 10 games in 2011. He has high expectations for himself entering this season.

“I don’t want to give up any sacks or pressures like that,” Gibson said. “I want to be the best I can. I am not going to settle for anything less than that.”

Freshman Brock Stadnik has also impressed coaches in camp, but he will probably not have a major role on this year’s team unless there is an injury.

“[Stadnik] is fitted to play the inside position. He probably can play all three of them,” Eliott said. “I don’t envision him cracking the two deep right now. I think he needs to have some time to develop, get strong — probably sit, have a redshirt year. But you know, injuries play a huge role in that.”

On the outside, the Gamecocks will look for continued improvement from Cann, who started every game as a redshirt freshman last season.

“Now [Cann] is coming into his second full year at being that guy at left guard,” Elliott said. “He is knowing what to do; he is confident in what he is doing. He is a strong and mobile athlete. I expect a big year out of him.”

Although junior Ronald Patrick will likely move into the starting lineup at right tackle, coaches still expect him to improve his technique. Patrick played in nine games last season, including the last six.

“Ronald has done well this fall,” Elliott said. “He has to get a little better with his footwork, but that comes with repetition. He is as solid as I think he should be. He’s got to get a lot better to be a really good football player. But I think he will be OK.”

As a unit, the offensive line is prepared to start the season strong and contribute to the success of South Carolina’s passing game.

“We are definitely coming together and clicking a lot better,” Gibson said. “Just reading blitzes better, making calls, being vocal, just understanding our assignments better.”