Swearinger, returners fight for starting spots

Gurley, freshmen impress coaches during preseason practices

Nothing about the Gamecocks’ secondary is set in stone except that playing time is anyone’s to win.

South Carolina has lost multiple key defenders, including first-round draft pick Stephon Gilmore and senior Akeem Auguste, who recently underwent surgery for a right thigh injury that is projected to keep him out of the lineup for four to five weeks.

Veterans D.J. Swearinger, Jimmy Legree and Victor Hampton will look to lead the secondary, but they will have to compete for time on the field with incoming freshmen who impressed the coaching staff during training camp.

Swearinger started all 13 games last year, playing a key role on a defense that tied for second in the SEC with 19 interceptions. The senior safety expects USC’s defense to develop into one of the top units in the country in 2012.

“I think our defense is one of the best in the nation, not just in the SEC,” Swearinger said at SEC Media Days. “We’ve got to work to earn it though, and we’re working hard in the offseason to try and get in the No. 1 spot this year.”

Legree, a junior who played safety last fall, will see action as a cornerback this season, and he is confident he will be able to contribute to the secondary from what he called his more natural position.

“My [strengths] would be bump and run — get up on the line. I can reroute the receiver pretty good and just run with them,” Legree said. “This year I am excited. I have a chance to redeem myself, so I am just ready to step in and make big plays.”

Hampton will compete for time at the cornerback position after recording 14 tackles and one interception for the Gamecocks last year. After serving a suspension at the beginning of the 2011 season, the redshirt sophomore returned to play in South Carolina’s last 10 games.

“[Hampton] has always been important,” assistant special teams coordinator Grady Brown said. “Victor is doing a good job. He’s a really good football player. He has a high football IQ. He comes to practice to work every day, and we expect him to play a big part in our success this year.”

Despite the experience that Swearinger, Legree and Hampton bring to the table, Brown said the nature of positions in the secondary makes it possible for new players to succeed even without previous experience. T.J. Gurley, Chaz Elder and Ahmad Christian are three freshmen who may earn substantial playing time.

“I don’t know if I would say [they] ‘have to play,’ but more so, they may be ready to play,” Brown said of the freshmen. “If guys come in, they’re moving around, making checks and making plays, we’ll get them on the field if they can make plays for us.”

Even with players from last year missing, South Carolina’s secondary has the depth to replace their production and be one of the top units in the SEC.

“A lot of those guys are gone — we’ll miss them tremendously — but we believe we’ve got the players that can step in and fill those shoes,” Swearinger said.