Tanner McEvoy transferring after legal trouble

Reserve quarterback fell to fourth string during camp

The redshirt freshman's transfer was announced by head coach Steve Spurrier, and came just over a week after McEvoy was arrested for speeding and driving after consuming alcohol as a minor.

The 19-year-old McEvoy entered fall practice as USC's fourth-string quarterback after redshirting during the 2011 season. McEvoy was listed behind starter Connor Shaw and was competing with Dylan Thompson, Seth Strickland and Andrew Clifford for the backup quarterback position. McEvoy played in the spring game and completed eight of 12 passes for 132 yards.

"The Gamecock coaching staff and I wish Tanner all the best as he continues his collegiate career elsewhere," Spurrier said in an official press release from the school.

McEvoy was arrested by a Mecklenburg County sheriff's deputy in late July in Charlotte, N.C., but posted $250 bail and was released. He was suspended from team activities by Spurrier, but was reinstated after a meeting with new athletics director Ray Tanner.

"We've got a lot of quarterbacks here, and personally I believe that was the best thing for him to do because Dylan has come along very nicely and Connor has another year," Spurrier said a day after McEvoy's transfer was announced. "Quarterbacks transfer all the time. I think it's the best opportunity for him so I hope it works out for him."

A former standout at Bergen Catholic High School in New Jersey, McEvoy spent his first three high school seasons as a wide receiver before switching to quarterback in his senior year. In his only season under center, McEvoy threw for 2,264 yards and 32 touchdowns. The Hillsdale, N.J., native also gained 1,196 rushing yards and 14 rushing touchdowns that season.

According to Rivals.com, McEvoy also received offers from 15 other schools, including Boston College, Miami (Fla.), Michigan, North Carolina and Vanderbilt, before choosing to sign with the Gamecocks. If McEvoy decides to transfer to another Football Bowl Subdivision institution, he would have to sit out a year per NCAA rules. However, if he decides to attend a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as Division 1-AA) school, he would be eligible to play right away.

With McEvoy's departure, the Gamecocks now have six quarterbacks on the roster: Shaw; Thompson; Strickland; Clifford; Austin Hails, a walk-on who joined the squad last fall and was redshirted last season; and Brendan Nosovitch, a true freshman from Pennsylvania who holds the state high school record for total yards in a career.