Around the SEC: Tennessee to face daunting Georgia offense

Tennessee @ No. 5 Georgia, 3:30 p.m., CBS

After a deflating loss to Florida in Week 3, the Tennessee Volunteers had some trouble putting away Akron last Saturday. Akron scored 13 points in the second quarter to tie the Vols heading into halftime. Eventually, Tennessee pulled away thanks to junior quarterback Tyler Bray, who completed 27 passes for 401 yards and four touchdowns. Georgia put up 27 points in the first half last week as the Bulldogs blew past Vanderbilt, 48 to 3. Although Aaron Murray threw for 250 yards, the real story was the Dawgs’ rushing attack. Freshman running back Todd Gurley gained 130 yards on 16 carries over the course of the game as Georgia’s top four running backs all averaged over 5 yards per carry. For the first time in school history, Georgia has scored more than 40 points in its first four contests. Tennessee’s defense will need to bring its “A” game to Athens.

Ole Miss @ No. 1 Alabama, 9:15 p.m., ESPN
Ole Miss took care of Tulane in the Superdome last weekend as the Rebels beat the Green Wave 39-0. The Rebels produced 450 total yards of offense, including 304 on the ground. Sophomore quarterback Bo Wallace attempted a mere 16 passes, completing only seven of them for 101 yards. Ole Miss (3-1) will play its first SEC game of the season Saturday when it meets the No. 1 Crimson Tide in Tuscaloosa. Alabama stifled FAU last Saturday, holding the Night Owls to 110 total yards en route to a 40-7 victory. The Tide’s defense, led by junior linebacker C.J. Mosley, surrendered a touchdown for only the third time this season when sophomore tight end Alex Deleon caught a 6-yard pass from senior quarterback Graham Wilbert with 2:49 left in the fourth quarter. Alabama leads the all-time series against the Rebels 45-9-2.

Arkansas @ Texas A&M, Noon, SEC Network
The train continues to fall off the track in Fayetteville. After a bizarre press conference, news broke last week that coach John L. Smith was $25.7 million in bankruptcy debt. To make problems worse for Smith, his brother passed away last Monday, and he attended the funeral Friday before the Razorbacks hosted Rutgers the next day. Even with the return of senior quarterback Tyler Wilson, Arkansas managed to fall to the Scarlet Knights 35-26. In case the embarrassment couldn’t get any worse, Wilson threw two interceptions, and the Hogs rushed for only 73 yards. The defense allowed 525 yards as sophomore Gary Nova threw five touchdown passes. While the madness continued in Arkansas, Texas A&M cruised to a 70-14 victory over South Carolina State on Saturday. The Aggies rolled up 448 yards, and freshman quarterback Johnny Manziel passed for two touchdowns.

Towson @ No. 3 LSU, 7 p.m., ESPNU
LSU survived a scare last Saturday as the then–No. 2-ranked Tigers from Baton Rouge slipped past Auburn 12-10. LSU actually dropped a spot in the AP Poll, falling from No. 2 to No. 3 as a result of the surprisingly close game. Junior quarterback Zach Metterberger struggled in his first career start on the road, passing for 169 yards and fumbling on the 2-yard line to set up a safety. LSU managed only one touchdown the entire game when Michael Ford rushed into the end zone from 1 yard out. The defense once again played a stingy game, allowing only 183 total yards, and sealed the win with an interception by junior cornerback Tharold Simon. Towson will come into Death Valley after a victory over St. Francis, scoring 43 points in the first half on its way to a 46-17 win. LSU will face off against the Towson Tigers before getting back into SEC action against Florida on Oct. 6.

Missouri @ UCF, noon, FSN
Missouri will host Central Florida this week coming off the heels of a 31-10 defeat to South Carolina. The Tigers struggled offensively, managing only 109 rushing yards and fewer than 150 passing. Missouri didn’t score a touchdown until the final 17 seconds of the game, when junior wide receiver Marcus Lucas caught a pass from backup quarterback Corbin Berkstresser. The Tigers will look for a big game this week to reorganize themselves after last week’s loss, which was their first SEC road game as a member of the conference. UCF will enter this week’s contest sitting at 2-1 after a 33-20 win over FIU last Saturday. Sophomore quarterback Blake Bortles had a solid game against the Panthers, completing 20 of 30 passes for more than 250 yards and two touchdowns.