Koch, Gamecocks beat Clemson

Kyle Koch.
Kyle Koch.

Men’s tennis beats Tigers by 4-3 score Sunday

The South Carolina men’s tennis team ended a two-game losing streak by defeating archrival Clemson 4-3 Sunday.

Coach Josh Goffi emphasized the significance of the win to get on the right track before the team begins SEC play against Florida Friday.

“They showed a lot of backbone,” he said. “That was so impressive. That is what I needed to see as a coach.”

Coming into the contest, Clemson was ranked No. 18 nationally and had dropped just one match all season.

“I think the fact that it was a rival helped us out in getting ready,” Goffi said. “We were ready for doubles, and I think that set the standard for the rest of the day.”

South Carolina clinched the doubles point when Chip Cox and Tsvetan Mihov won their match 9-7. The Gamecocks secured the win over the Tigers after sophomore Kyle Koch won his singles match 6-3 and 7-5.

“It’s always a great feeling to beat Clemson,” Koch said. “Especially when they are ranked 18th in the country. I got a little bit nervous there, just trying to close it out.”

Goffi said it was a great moment for the senior to clinch the victory in such a fashion.

“Kyle Koch has been working harder probably than anybody that I have ever coached,” he said. “It was really nice for him to get that payoff. He deserves it. A win like that can set a kid going in the right direction.”

Goffi said it hasn’t always been easy for Koch despite his effort throughout his tenure with the Gamecocks.

“A pressure comes with (hard work),” he said. “He has kind of fallen short because of that pressure.”

Goffi was optimistic that Koch’s performance against Clemson could give him the confidence he needs to finally “get over that hump.” Koch said throughout the singles match, he was focused on making strong first serves and not giving away free points.

“His serve is one of the best in the SEC, I think,” said Harry Menzies, Koch’s doubles partner.

Menzies and Koch won their doubles match to help give the Gamecocks an early lead. While the two are veterans, this is the first season they have played doubles together.

“We never even tried it out as a combination, and then we just started and we have clicked ever since,” Menzies said. “He’s a good high-energy guy like I am, and we just mesh really well together.”

The players and Goffi said the win would provide needed momentum heading into the team’s upcoming stretch of SEC play.

“It is always good to beat in-state rivals,” Koch said. “It shows that we are going to be ready for the rest of the SEC.”

“The SEC is tough, but it is wide open this year,” Goffi said. “I think we are ready to get into a war.”