For Lattimore and Spurrier, a night of milestones

Lattimore (21) became South Carolina’s all-time leader in career touchdowns Saturday night, breaking George Rogers and Harold Green's record with 34.

Tailback breaks touchdown record as coach wins 200th college game Read More

Standing outside Williams-Brice Stadium before the game Saturday, a grinning George Rogers had no doubt it would be a historic night in Columbia.

After all, star tailback Marcus Lattimore entered the UAB game tied with Rogers and Harold Green’s school record of 33 career touchdowns.

“[It’s] a big record,” Rogers said. “I’m going to be wearing his jersey not too long from now, when he breaks the record.”

With a chuckle, South Carolina’s sole Heisman Trophy winner added: “He’s got to break the record first.”

It took Lattimore almost until halftime, but after quarterback Connor Shaw heaved a 20-yard pass to wide receiver Bruce Ellington to put the Gamecocks into scoring position, he did it with run from two yards out. The touchdown was USC’s third in what would end as a 49-6 rout of the Blazers.

Even before the announcement came booming out over the loudspeakers, it was clear Rogers wasn’t the only one keeping count; the 77,963 in attendance roared louder and longer than usual after Lattimore crossed the goal line. The junior tailback said he’d only realized he was approaching the record last week, but was excited at the chance to etch his name in the history books.

“It’s a big accomplishment just to be mentioned with George Rogers and Harold Green,” he said. “It’s just crazy.”

The touchdown and a 43-yard run notwithstanding, Saturday turned out to be a mild night for Lattimore. He finished the game with 12 carries for 85 yards and his second lost fumble of the season. But Lattimore didn’t dwell on the stats. He said that being sidelined for much of the 2011 season after tearing an ACL against Mississippi State last October gave him a new appreciation for just being able to put on pads and play.

“Around this time last year, I was playing,” Lattimore said. “But three weeks later, I tore my knee up. And all the hard work and the dedication I put in to get back on the field and have a big accomplishment like that — it feels good.”

Coach Steve Spurrier, who had a historic night of his own, notching his 200th career win as a college coach, praised Lattimore’s record after lamenting his offense’s inconsistencies.

“That was neat for Marcus to get the most touchdowns,” Spurrier said. “He got one. He’s the career leader in touchdowns around here and he hadn’t played but about two seasons. He’s had a lot bigger games than tonight, but he’ll be ready, hopefully, when these bigger games start rolling around.”

As he’d done all week leading up to the game, Spurrier dismissed the significance of his own record, saying he counts his wins in the NFL and USFL toward his total coaching wins.

“I’ve got 47 others ... they all sort of blend in,” Spurrier said. “But I’m hoping for No. 201 next week.”

South Carolina made another mark on the record book in the third quarter when backup quarterback Dylan Thompson, who had replaced Shaw after the starter left with a an aggravated shoulder contusion, connected with wideout Damiere Byrd. Byrd ran the length of the field for a 94-yard touchdown pass, the fourth-longest in school history.

Lattimore said the sense of accomplishment, especially for Spurrier’s hallmark win, wasn’t lost on the South Carolina players.

“It’s great for the whole team. It’s great for Coach Spurrier,” he said. “He’s been doing this for over 25 years, and to get that 200th win, I know he feels good. We all feel good about it.”

But Lattimore and his colleagues weren’t the only ones in good spirits at the end of the game. The tailback’s 34th career touchdown put a big smile on one particular face that awaited him on the sideline — Rogers’.

“He told me congratulations,” Lattimore said. “I really appreciated that, coming from him.”