In Our Opinion: Heat, not disloyalty, drives students away

Coach Steve Spurrier may not think 92 degrees is so bad, but Saturday was hot.

It was hot enough to see lightning in the sky during the day. It was so hot, in fact, that students were burnt, blistered and even unconscious this weekend at USC's home opener against East Carolina. Read More

True, having an empty student section by the end of a game isn't great, but neither is having students pass out from heat exhaustion while waiting in line for water. And in the midst of all the rage this week about disloyal fans at a home game, we have to step back and think about what is more important.

First, Williams-Brice is essentially a metal box. Now throw in a nearly full attendance of 77,000 sweaty, jumping people, 92-degree heat and a policy that does not allow students to bring their own water bottles to the stadium, and you've got a recipe for a huge health hazard. On Saturday, students were seen sitting limply against the wall with first-aid staff tending to them. Others who chose to buy water in the stadium had to endure hourlong waits and pay obscene prices.
While water fountains do exist, there are simply too few of them too far away.

To assume everyone who left the game early did so just to go party at 2 p.m. is presumptuous and insulting. Sure, a portion probably left for exactly that reason, but perhaps more left for other reasons, most notably staying alive. If USC truly wants to see students show support until the end of a game, then it needs to ensure that doing so will not endanger them. Something as simple as offering free water or allowing students to bring their own could make the difference between an empty and full stadium.