Main Street revamp revives city’s art scene

It looks like we're finally getting an arts and entertainment scene here in Columbia. Read More

For years now, Main Street has undergone a transformation to consolidate a number of the city's artistic venues into one small area. For those of you who have ventured a couple blocks down Main from the Statehouse, traveling away from campus, you realize this is a risky business move for the establishments willing to relocate here. The area is anything but glamorous. It is, however, a testament to the emergence of the art scene in Columbia.

This past Friday, The Nickelodeon Theatre opened its new location on the 1600 block of Main Street. The move was of major significance for the local community as the well-respected theater has garnered a solid reputation over the years.

The theater's first night, a sold-out showing of "Beasts of the Southern Wild," is indicative of a greater trend — the unveiling and building up of the scene to create a new, more art-centric city.

Main Street has long been in transition, with Mark Plessinger, the owner of Frame of Mind, organizing First Thursdays on Main over the past four years. The monthly event showcases exhibits and performing artists from the street's newest galleries.

While we may never be a Nashville or Athens, Ga., thanks to those citizens and establishments for their dedication to revitalizing a stagnant culture in Columbia, the Capital City has certainly taken major steps in a positive direction.