Punting main focus for Robinson

Hull remains top punter; new touchback rule benefits USC Read More

USC’s offensive outburst against East Carolina minimized the role of special teams in last week’s game, but punting is an area where the Gamecocks could use improvement.

So far this season, South Carolina has averaged 38 yards per punt. Redshirt sophomore Tyler Hull was the starter against ECU and finished with four punts on the day. The longest was 51 yards, but the first was just 32 yards and failed to cross midfield. Consistency has been the biggest challenge for Hull on the year.

“It’s really just technical issues,” special teams coach Joe Robinson said. “You need to be consistent, have a consistent drop, consistent steps and all the things he works on. I believe he’s made a lot of improvement.

“He’s a long way from his full potential because I think he has a lot of upside. But he’s getting better every week and that’s all we can really ask for.”

Redshirt sophomore Patrick Fish had one punt, which was good for just 24 yards and went out of bounds. Robinson said that while Hull is still the team’s go-to punter, Fish has an opportunity to win the job.

“I think that remains to be seen,” Robinson said. “Mike Williamson is competing for this job also. They’re all doing better. We’re not where we need to be as a group.”

Gamecocks look for more touchbacks: Redshirt freshman Landon Ard has taken over the role of kicker for USC this year. Ard, Robinson said, like the rest of the special teams, has room to improve.

“He’s providing some nice hang time on his kickoffs for us,” Robinson said. “I’m pleased with Landon. It’s going to sound like a broken record, but there are things he can do better. He knows what they are, and he’s working hard on them. We definitely want to get some touchbacks. We want to get more than we’ve gotten at this point.”

Ard forced two touchbacks against East Carolina, and another kick into the end zone was returned for 23 yards.

New rule helps USC: The NCAA changed rules regarding touchbacks this offseason so the receiving team now starts at its own 25-yard line instead of its 20.

Robinson said the new rule limits the number of kick returns, and since there are so many strong returners in the SEC, it works to South Carolina’s advantage.

“If the rule-makers want to jump in and give us some help — I think they have because of a reaction to injuries. I don’t think it was any reaction to returners,” Robinson said. “Obviously there are fewer returns this year on kickoff, and on punt people are trying to handle it more schematically.

“But they’re dangerous, and we play in a league with a bunch of dangerous ones. They can turn a game around. All you have to do is watch the SEC last year to see that, so we’re going to do everything we can to limit returns.”