Martin’s efforts could re-energize program

Frank Martin wants students to show up at Colonial Life Arena.

Yes, he’s well aware the men’s basketball team’s performance hasn’t given them any reason to in the past year. And, because of that, he’s planning some serious outreach.

He’ll visit with student organizations, fraternities and sororities. He’ll sign autographs and take pictures with students on Greene Street. Hell, if the Garnet Army takes back Colonial Life Arena, he’ll jump around in the stands with them (although he won’t paint up).

Martin told a handful of student leaders Monday night that he knows winning comes first, and fans will follow, but he’s open to whatever ideas students have for getting the crowd back into Gamecock basketball.

We agree with him, and — while we don’t doubt the Gamecock faithful will have to suffer for a little while longer as the program builds — we’re excited that Martin’s making himself so accessible.

He’s got a lot of work ahead of him. The team isn’t exactly laden with superstars.

But Martin himself is a superstar; former Athletics Director Eric Hyman shocked the basketball world when he landed him in Columbia.
We said then that his presence alone could be enough to get the ball rolling and get students in the stands. While he’ll need a winning team to keep them there, taking the initiative and reaching out to students will go a long way.

What do you think? If you were Frank Martin, how would you get students in the seats? Send us your ideas and we’ll print the our favorites in the paper on Friday.