Pastides: Uphold Creed, have fun this weekend

National spotlight requires responsibility

We have a big weekend coming up, a chance to showcase all the things we cherish about South Carolina’s flagship university. Our beloved Horseshoe will provide the backdrop for ESPN’s College GameDay coverage of the Georgia game this weekend. Our moving “No Limits” spot will air at halftime showing beautiful scenes from both our campus and city superimposed with impressive rankings. But it won’t just be our campus on display. It will also be you, Carolina’s students. The nation will be watching. I ask that you represent your school with class and graciousness. It’s our chance to shine, so let’s illuminate that caring spirit that makes us great.

Have fun! Wear your garnet and black. Support your team with true Gamecock spirit. Do this in accordance with the Carolinian Creed each of you is committed to uphold. Remember: “Choosing to join the community obligates each member to a code of civilized behavior.” This includes welcoming the many guests who will pour into Williams-Brice Stadium for the game and afterwards into Columbia’s restaurants and clubs.

Five Points will be crowded with Gamecock fans along with thousands of out-of-town guests. Columbia Police will have an increased presence. Officers from USC’s Division of Law Enforcement and Safety will be stepping up patrols on campus. The safety of our community is of the utmost importance. Criminal activity, over-consumption and underage drinking will not be tolerated.   

So I ask you to enjoy the day, celebrate the fact that you’ve spent this week participating in a caring campaign to Beat Hunger in the Midlands. Embrace the principles of Stand Up Carolina. Be welcoming, be civil, be sober, be gracious, be aware of your surroundings and take responsibility for yourself and your friends. In other words, have fun while living the Carolinian Creed. 

— USC President Harris Pastides