Peanut Man brings sweet success to couple

Locally owned candy shop gains second location on Lincoln Street

The Vista is known in Columbia as the home of a variety of colorful shops, delicious tastes and sweet smells. Carrie Hinely and her husband Chris Hinely have successfully combined all of these aspects to create the newest addition to the area, The Peanut Man. This renovated shoe store, on Lincoln Street, is the second shop for the couple, selling their signature pralines, boiled peanuts and other confections. 

Although the store is quickly gaining popularity, the start of the Hinelys’ success wasn’t so sweet.

After both being laid off from their jobs in 2008, they had the idea to sell peanuts better than those they’d sampled during their time at the beach. Drawing inspiration from frequent trips to the Savannah Candy Kitchen, the couple wanted to offer the same array of nuts, homemade candies and childhood favorites.

“I turned to my husband and said, ‘This is what we need to bring back to Columbia,’” Carrie Hinely recalled.

In February 2009, with barely any funds, they researched basic praline and peanut recipes and opened a mall kiosk. After the stand was a “complete failure,” according to Carrie Hinely, the Village at Sandhill urged them to lease a space to sell their goods. Scraping funds from wherever they could, the couple opened their shop, began to perfect their craft and eventually opened the newest store. The Peanut Man on Lincoln Street was completely reconstructed with the help of friends, family and the couple’s three sons. The character of the old shop was kept intact, though, using original wood beams and shoe racks as candy shelves. From the multicolored walls to the candy basket arrangements, they created every part of the store from scratch.

An entire group effort is what made the store possible, Carrie Hinely said.

In the middle of a troubled economy, the pair wanted to share the faith and perseverance they had with others who were struggling.

“They need something to lift themselves up,” Carrie Hinely said.

The Peanut Man, one of the only shops in Columbia that offers Cajun boiled peanuts and homemade candies like the best-selling pecan caramel clusters, also prides itself on offering affordable goods and services. What started as simply researching basic recipes has evolved into mixtures of recipes and influences in their signature tastes. Assortments of goods are offered for less than $10, and gift-wrapping is only $3. 

The couple aims to create a one-stop shop, where every type of person will leave satisfied. The two are always taking suggestions, and any requests for new candies can be made to order.

Carrie Hinely wants the traditions she remembers in the penny candy store as a child to continue on for other children and families. The couple hopes customers recognize their hard work and effort and keep them coming back for years.

“It was pure faith,” said Carrie Hinely, who hopes to someday be able to afford to sponsor mission trips. “I want to see what God has in store for us.”