South American myths sweep Trustus stage

Palmetto Luna Arts to perform two original Spanish plays written by Columbia residents

Next week, in a small room beside the main stage at Trustus Theater on Lady Street, South American myths, traditions and concerns will come alive.

Palmetto Luna Arts is preparing to stage a production of two original plays in Spanish, both written by residents of Columbia who were born abroad. The production is directed by Betsy Newman, a producer at ETV.

“Inocentes y Pecadores” (Innocents and Sinners) consists of two short, separate pieces. The first, “Abya Yala,” begins with the birth of a mythical character by that name. Abya Yala receives four gifts that gradually take away her innocence.

With beautiful costumes, traditional instruments and dances, like the tango, to add authentic flavor, the play is engaging even to viewers who may not understand every word. A narrator introduces each scene, providing a break from the intense, emotional action.

Lucia Vega, who wrote “Abya Yala,” came to the U.S. from Lima, Peru. She said she was inspired to write the play to give the public an idea of what is happening, socially and politically, in South America.

“Everyone thinks South America is in a boom,” she said in Spanish. “But no one is thinking about the cost.”
Vega said she has written poetry and short stories before, but that writing a play gave her an opportunity to communicate her passions in a more entertaining, visual way.

The second play, “Los Pecados Capitales del Mundo Moderno” (The Deadly Sins of the Modern World), was written by Julia Vargas, who is from Colombia. It portrays the seven deadly sins convening at a family dinner. Brightly colored costumes and satirical, exaggerated acting help establish the comic air of the piece.

Envy wears a vivid green dress and wig, and Laziness spends most of the play dozing under the table. She emerges to offer a philosophical monologue before telling the audience that so much thought is exhausting and that they should make decisions in her place.

The lighthearted conversation of the characters gives way to a harsh, powerful conclusion that questions the impact of the sins on human beings.

“It’s not easily understood,” said Alex Pham, a fourth-year international business student who is working on lights and sound for the play. “They’re plays that make you think ... it definitely has meaning not just for anyone who’s watching but for the Latin American community as well.”

Palmetto Luna’s mission is to promote an understanding of Hispanic culture by promoting artistic and cultural expression among the Latino community. Pham, who was required to do community service as part of a class this semester, found out about the production from USC professor Wendy Schneider, who has a small part in “Abya Yala.”

“I worked throughout high school doing musical theater, but nothing technical,” Pham said. “I was either acting or singing. But the reason I wanted to join this organization, or at least help out this semester, is that it’s a change of pace, using my Spanish skills (in the) fine arts. It’s been a unique experience.”

Showtimes are Nov. 5, 6 and 7 at 8 p.m., and tickets are $10 for the general audience and $5 for students.