USC hosts Florida with tournament berth at stake

Danielle Au (12).
Danielle Au (12).

Women’s soccer 10th in SEC heading into season finale

When the Gamecocks host the Gators at Stone Stadium on Thursday, they will be playing with one reward in mind: a spot in the SEC Tournament.

Heading into its final regular season game, South Carolina sits in fifth place in the eastern division and 10th overall in the conference. With a win against Florida, USC guarantees itself the final spot in the tournament. With a loss or tie, the Gamecocks could still qualify depending on the results of three other teams.

After winning the regular season conference championship last year, USC secured the top seed in the SEC Tournament only to make an early exit after being upset by Alabama in the quarterfinals. But junior captain Elizabeth Sinclair said the team has not talked about improving its performance in the tournament just yet.

“Our main focus at this point is getting there,” Sinclair said.

The Gamecocks enter their match against Florida after a 1-0 victory at Alabama on Sunday. The Crimson Tide scored an own goal in the 14th minute to put South Carolina on the board. Sinclair said the goal felt like “karma” after USC’s 1-0 loss at Kentucky on Friday, in which the only goal was scored on a deflection off of a USC defender.

USC’s defense was dominant in the shutout, limiting the Tide to eight shots. Sinclair said teamwork was the key to containing Alabama’s offense.

USC started the game with four midfielders and two forwards, but the success of the defense allowed the team to change its formation in the second half. Sinclair said the Gamecocks played with an additional forward after halftime to try to build on their lead.

“Danielle Au played great for us in the first half, pressuring the center back,” Sinclair said. “I know she was a little tired, and especially being a Sunday game, it gave us another person up there to get the ball when we won it.

USC’s defense will face a Florida offense that has averaged over two goals a game. Seniors Jo Dragotta and McKenzie Barney are tied for the team lead with six goals on the season, and two other players have scored five times each.

The Gators currently top the standings in the Eastern Division, and a win over the Gamecocks will secure them the regular season SEC championship.

Thursday’s game is senior night, and the Gamecocks will recognize goalie Darien Vercillo and defender Dani Henry with a pregame ceremony. Sinclair said the team has gotten gifts for the seniors, in addition to decorating the locker room in their honor.

“Dani and Darien have contributed a lot of effort on and off the field,” Sinclair said. “They’ve been great team players to step up when we need them, and they’re just fun to have around. We’re really going to miss their personality next year.”

If the Gamecocks qualify for the SEC Tournament, they will head to Orange Beach, Ala. on Sunday. Their first game will be on Monday. If they advance, they will play again on Wednesday.